Rear Hub Not Gripping Frame

Martin Reynolds

As the title says. I've replaced the inside washer for a serrated one, the outside washer is an aluminium one with the steel serrated ring on it and the wheel bolt/washer isn't bottoming out on the axle.

The axle is steel, so I can really tighten the bolt up, but as soon as i do a small pedal kick, the wheel moves and rubs the frame.

Ideas?

I've had to lash it up atm with padding the axle away from the frame

As the title says. I've replaced the inside washer for a serrated one, the outside washer is an aluminium one with the steel serrated ring on it and the wheel bolt/washer isn't bottoming out on the axle.

The axle is steel, so I can really tighten the bolt up, but as soon as i do a small pedal kick, the wheel moves and rubs the frame.

Ideas?

I've had to lash it up atm with padding the axle away from the frame

What is this? I didn't know you could get replacement serrated washers for the inside??

what hub are you running?,

i'm presuming the reason why cam's are out of the question is because your hub has a 135mm axle and the frame spacing is 135mm, if thats the case depending on your hub you could file down the axle ends 3mm on both side's to then be able to run cam's without having to pull the dropout's apart,

or you could just run a cam on the drive side, it's not ideal and you will have to pull the dropout's apart a little bit when fitting the wheel but it won't cause any issues apart from being a little bit awkward.

also inregards to cam's not stopping the wheel from moving, i had the same issue as you with my zhi z3 when i first built it up, but once i did a bit of fileing to the axle spacer's on my echo hub and fitted cam's the drive side stopped getting pulled forward,

hope that helps.

Edited by ezgonzo

what hub are you running?,

i'm presuming the reason why cam's are out of the question is because your hub has a 135mm axle and the frame spacing is 135mm, if thats the case depending on your hub you could file down the axle ends 3mm on both side's to then be able to run cam's without having to pull the dropout's apart,

or you could just run a cam on the drive side, it's not ideal and you will have to pull the dropout's apart a little bit when fitting the wheel but it won't cause any issues apart from being a little bit awkward.

also inregards to cam's not stopping the wheel from moving, i had the same issue as you with my zhi z3 when i first built it up, but once i did a bit of fileing to the axle spacer's on my echo hub and fitted cam's the drive side stopped getting pulled forward,

hope that helps.

I've already done the non-drive side and got a snail cam on that. I cant do the same for the drive side because the axle is too short, and would barely sit in the frame if i used a snail cam. And i'd have to force the frame apart, which i dont like doing.

I doubt i could use a snail cam on the outside either, for a start it'd be pulling against the bolt rarther than the axle, achieving very little. And the way the dropouts are shaped, i doubt it'd fit

If its a 135mm axle and a 135mm frame dont add any washers

Make sure when you tighten the axle bolts, the bolts/washer dont bottom out on the axle

the bolts may feel tight but the washer only slightly touches on frame

i had this once, just had to file the axle ends very slighty beacuse the frame had worn slightly were the washer sits and bottom out and wheel was moving even with snail cams

I can see yours has gone the same, will only get worse until they properly tighten up

File a small bit at a time and make sure the axle bolt starts ok after each time and keep internal threads clean from metal shavings when re-starting them or you will need a tap

Edited by weebryan

after having a quick look @ some pics of your hub, it looks quite possible that you could file the end caps down ( judging by the very few pics i managed to find ), which would reduce the overall hub lenght allowing room to fit cam's aswell as allowing the axle to seat further in the dropouts,

however this method would only work though if the part of the axle that is covered by the end caps is still 10mm in dia,

hope that makes sence :D .

edit: i just read my first post and i meant to put the axle end caps instead of axle ends my bad :$ .

Edited by ezgonzo