Echo 24" Owners Help!

studi

My tensioners are all the way out and my new KMC Z610 HX, 3/32" is 3-4 mm to short and if I add two more links its too long... Right now Im using my friends old chain and the only reason I think it fits is because its been stretched already... Will I have to use a half link? or should I try a different chain?

18:14 with 360mm stays

Edited by studi

My tensioners are all the way out and my new KMC Z610 HX, 3/32" is 3-4 mm to short and if I add two more links its too long... Right now Im using my friends old chain and the only reason I think it fits is because its been stretched already... Will I have to use a half link? or should I try a different chain?

18:14 with 360mm stays

I would use a half link, I had to use one on my 26" SL. sorted all the chain length problems.

It will fit without the extra 2 links! join it up and take off the crank, put it over the freewheel/sprocket and then put the crank on, its pretty tight, but it will go on! Thats exactly what i am running on my echo 24 at the moment, it has stretched abit now so removal is easier.

Adam

It depends on the chain. From my experience with building these bikes up you ideally need a split link because the chain is too tight to get onto the freewheel/cog in one piece. Therefore, you need to get the chain onto the chainrings before linking it. This is where the split link comes in handy.

I actually used a Z610HX chain on one of these frames with a 18:14 ratio a few days ago and it was difficult to get on but managed it finally. As mentioned above, this was linked with the chain already on the cogs. Otherwise it would have been impossible.

The only scenario where a half link is needed from my experience is if you encounter tyre clearance issues. This can happen with a High Roller 2.50" tyre which will rub against the top tube.