Suspension Seatpost, Fork And Rear Shock Questions

CurtisRider

Hi guys, i have a project in which i will be building some crutches for a young lady who has no cartilage in her knees. She has said that she wants some form of give in the crutches and that a suspension system would be ideal. There is already a suspension crutch available but it is not user adjustable, and is way overpriced. An on the fly adjustable system like how MTBs have would be an interesting concept and make the crutches more universal (she wants them for walking but others use them for football, etc).

I am looking at suitable systems to apply to the suspension idea. I have a basic idea on how oil damping works, but i am hazy as to how air shocks work? How do they actually adjust? I can't find any detailed info as to how lock out works and things like that. I am also interested in the old style elastomer systems, but i cant find any images of thier construction (fairly sure its just a long tube of elastomers instead of a spring?)

Any diagrams of how stuff works is appreciated!

Also if anybody has any old or broken suspension forks/suspension seatposts/rear shocks that they have to donate, i would happily pay postage and a few quid for your troubles :)

an air for genraly has one sidehop full of air as the spring or elastomer.

and the other side with two damping pistons on lowere piston for rebound damping (the return rate) and one higher for compresion damping (the speed which it uses travel)

lockout is very basicly a hole which is plugged by a rod to stop oil flow.

forks with a blowoff valve lockout system basicly the valve which the lockout rod locks is mounted onto a very hard spring which once this spring is compressed it hits a point which another rod hits a blow off valve to reopen the closed lockout valve.

rear shocks use the same damper system, with the air chameber on the outside or the damper.

if you have a rear shock you can let out all the air and unscrew the air chamber from the outside to reveal the damper sytem on the inside.

a stytem that would be very good for stilts would be simmilar to a air pogo stick.

with a damper rod inside, simmilar to car boot struts.

The problem is that on any modern fork, one leg will be only damping (I.e. won't return by itself) and the other side will be undamped.

I would investigate elastomers - essentially they're both sprung and naturally damped. Would certainly be the simplest option, and I doubt the damping on crutches needs to be that sophisticated.

Regarding sophistication on crutches, there is a reason to get more technical than a dodgy spring with no adjustability! For example crutch football, the crutches will take pretty heavy abuse and be set stiffer, but then afterwards, when doing normal walking, they would require something a bit more forgiving as they won't be pushed at hard. A form of damping would be necessary as otherwise they will react horribly when taken off the floor, which could cause problem with balance. Elastomers certainly seem the easiest plan and do tick most of the boxes (not sure how to make them stiffer on the fly?).

I had been looking at leftys on ebay but they go for too much :( i can't find the internal workings of them either. I'm sure theres a way to combine the internal workings of a fork to 1 leg, it will just be a case of pulling some apart to find out!

Elastomers won't be adjustable, I'd probably have some different thickness of elastomers and then make it easy to swap them. Mashing a set of forks into each leg sounds like it'll be quite heavy?