Front Wheel Problems

KurtiisBrookhouse

Right, i bought a new front wheel but it didnt come built. Its a trialtech sport hub onto a echo rim 20" My dad can build wheels and he built my back one but the front wheel just will not straightem, the non-disc side is that radial build ( the spokes dont cross any others ) but when he tried to straighten it the non-disc side has like a big belly on it. The hub is not in the middle when the spokes are tight, its pulled away over to the right. ( non-disc side with the radial build ) the spokes i think are the right length. It looks like the spokes on the disc side is like flat and the other side has like a bend.

ive looked everywhere but there is nothing that says how to build or tighten a wheel built with a radial side. ive copied the spoke build off another wheel which has the same build, radial on one side and 2 cross on the other, somebody pleaaase help!!

its a 32 hole rim and hub just saying!!

Kurtiis (Y)

Did they know you wanted to build it radial when you bought the spokes? If not they're probably way too long on that side, radial lacing needs quite a lot shorter spokes, hence why people do it, it saves the weight of the extra length of spoke.

If the spokes have enough thread/are the right size, then you just need to tighten the non-disc side spokes and loosen the disc side ones to pull the rim over to that side.

With disc wheels you get different sized flanges and different flange positions so you can't do the conventional "tighten every spoke equally" method, at least thats what I have found. loosen the nondisc side off a half turn and turn the disc side half, if that doesn't sort it out just repeat until its dished properly :)

you sure it's the right X on the disc side? if you increased the X from 2 to 3, the increased angle of the spokes makes them effectively shorter so the rim will be pulled back over the side as there is less give from the loose spokes... unless you just got the wrong spokes... there usually is a bit of a dish to disc wheels though...