First Bike?

Cryosoul

Okay, so i've read a few threads on here and i know everyone says "You can't recommend a bike because everybody is different" etc. But I know literally nothing xD. Basically, i've done free running for about 3 years and i feel like i want to start something new. I chose this because (Please don't hate me for saying this or anything it's just my opinion) it's basically free running on a bike which sounds VERY appealing to me. However; I know virtually nothing about this sort of bike. I have my road bike for keeping my fitness up but that's as far as my knowledge goes. I don't want to spend a fortune purely because i'm not 100% sure i'll actually enjoy it, so i don't want to spend loads of money just to lose it when i have to sell the bike, i don't mind buying second hand though. I'm also a big guy at 6'4, so i'm not sure how that will go in any of this... So what i'm after is for someone to recommend me any bikes to look at or even places to look, but more importantly bikes/places/things i should definitely avoid.

Thanks in advance to anyone who replies :)

Hi,

I'm sure others may make more recommendations

But get any old sort of XC bike if thats an easily available option and have a go on that first. This is probably how most started on here?

This used to be a good starting point - lower the seat, fat tires, get the brakes running sharp and would be a good basis.

That aside, I'd suggest Onza would be a good option for something new as they are affordable and do the job, especially if your wishing to explore your interest in trials riding without spending alot of money.

Secondly I'd suggest ebay - look at pick up only options, may find something good... use tartybikes.co.uk for an idea of pricings for your budget if you're looking in to second hand, or even log on to their site (shop) to find a bike for you. You won't be disappointed!

hope this helps

cheers

Barry

If your looking at it as free running on a bike then I'd say you want something streety to keep everything moving. The above comment about XC bikes is a fair one though the reason we did that years ago is basically cause there wasn't really any other option available, nowadays you can pick up a cheap trials bike which will be a lot better to learn on.

Do you have any idea of how you want to be spending?? I'd say upto about £300 max is a good budget to pick up a 2nd hand bike which would not only do for learning but could probably last you a while if you decide to keep at it.

Thank you for the responses

I love the look of Onzas but unfortunately the closest one to me for sale on ebay is 70 miles away which is a bit of a problem as i ride motorbikes and you can't really strap a bike to the back like you can on a car xD But i will definitely keep checking. In the mean time, a fried who works in halfords has told me they have some reasonably cheap "Dirt jump" bikes (Which i'm guessing are the same if not very similar) for like £170 (I can also get 10% off if i get my friend to buy it for me). And i know they won't be very good and probably very heavy, but i'd rather lose £170 than £300 xD So if someone who knows what they are talking about could look at them and tell me if they'd be good for a begginer or not, i'd appreciate it xD http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_254703_langId_-1

Thanks

I personally wouldn't bother, at the end of the day if you buy a brand new dirt jump bike you'll instantly lose about £70 when you come to sell it again which you'd have to do. If you spend a couple of hundred on a 2nd hand bike on here if you decide to sell it you'll make a lot more back on it as it won't lose much value with already being 2nd/3rd/4th hand. Keep an eye on the for sale section on here, there's a lot of members who'll gladly post a bike for you so you needn't worry about collecting.

I used to do parkour before I took up trials too :D urm I would recomend ignoring your friends suggestions to get a DJ bike, its a completely different thing and it will cost you more to buy than a cheepo trials bike while hindering your progression in trials. My first bike was an Onza and I found it very good. Ebay tends to be more expensive than other specilaised websites as people on there often do not know what they're selling and what the value of trials stuff actually is. I would recomend using http://www.pinkbike.com/ if its a cheep bike your looking for as there is normally a good selection of begginer bikes up there, if not check the for sale section and the classifieds on here. Seeing as your looking for something probably quite streety it would be an idea to look for 24" or 26" bikes in the future, depending on your preferance and how your riding style develops as well as how thick your wallet is, but for now it will be entirely possible for you to learn the basics on a bike of any size. Also in trials the size of the wheels doesn't neccisarily correspond with the size of the rider as it is easy to alter the way a bike feels by changing the geometry of stuff like the stem. Hope this helps.

It can do but you can also end up waiting a long time for bits to come up for sale.

I know a lad on here who built up a 2nd bike for less than £150 that would have been an ideal beginners bike for someone, like I said keep an eye on the for sale section on here and put up a wanted ad. If your unsure about certain parts or a certain price just PM someone on here and I'm sure they'd be happy to give you some advice!

I'd personally go for the Phase, I've ridden one and reckon for the money they are brilliant bikes. The only downside with the 1.3 is the fact it runs a rear V mount instead of maguras but make sure you get it set up well with a booster and some decent pads and a grind and you should be fine.

Also for £115 you wouldn't lose much at all if you sold it on.

Buy that and get a single speed kit and double wheel tensioner, some heatsink yellow V pads or LGVs, a brake booster and grind the back rim and you'll be well set up.

Edited by isitafox

Well i managed to get the Phase 1.3 down to £100 which is a lot less than i thought i'd pay. So i'm taking that and picking it up tonight and gonna spend the remaining money on better back brakes and once i've found what gear i like, a single gear set for it :)

Right, guy just phoned me and said the bike needs a new "Crank arm bolt" What is this? Where can i get it? How much will it cost? Should i still get the bike? Thank you :) (If it matters he says the crank arms are " truvitev crank arms")

Once you've picked it up tonight take a pic of the crank arm where it bolts onto the bottom bracket and post it up here then I or someone on here can tell you. I've done a quick search and I'm pretty sure it'll be ISIS though.