Problems With Head Set

tpickup

seems when i shit weight forward and then back head set clicks back and forth. i have tried putting spacer between stem and head set but hasnt seem to have worked.

any ideas

PS. im unable to reply atm as this is my last post till i have one more approved posts.

seems when i shift weight forward and then back head set clicks back and forth.

Is there movement/play in the headset or is it just making a noise?

If there is movement then my guess would be (like I said) that something isn't in the right order, or is missing. Or the crown race might not be seated at the bottom of the forks properly. Or if it has slip wedges top and bottom, they might be the wrong way around. Might be a silly question, but have you done up the top cap bolt tight enough to give a good amount of pre load in the headset?

If the "clicks" is just a sound with no movement/play in the headset, the just take it apart, clean it and put it back together with plenty of grease.

Maybe put some close up pics up on here of the heAdset and order it's been built in and if it's not right some one on here should spot the problem saving you ££ taking it down ur lbs

Edited by dave33
  • Like 1

A have this problem all the time and so does a friend of mine.

I managed to sort it on my bike,

It may be the bars. especially on painted bars (like my viz 720s) the clamp can make creaking noises as it's clamping on to paint that's falling off.remove any paint around the clamp area, i just used a Stanley knife.

This solved my clicking last time (I had rolled my bars forward, and shortly after clicking started.)

Secondly, it may be your headset.

Take your headset apart, clean it all up with a bit of kitchen roll and lather it all in grease, i used thick marine grease, then put it all back together in the correct order. (as follows)

Topcap

Top bearing cover

Compression ring

top bearing

top cup

bottom cup

bottom bearing

crown race (already on forks)

then tighten it all back up.

Finally it may be the clamping points on your steerer tube or handlebars, covered in oil/greasey stuff.

Take your stem off and check the steerer, i found that mine was cover in black oily stuff. (don't know how it got there but hey) clean that off from the steerer/ and the inside of the stem clamp, with a bit of meths. then put it back together. do the same for your bars & the clamp.

you do NOT what any grease or lubricant on clamping areas.

If you the clicking persists, i'd just check all the weld areas on forks and round headtube for cracks (although i doubt they'll be any) if there isn't any, just keep riding it. I found the clicks don't make any difference to the bike, and it is only a click.

EDIT: just seen pics of headset, i'd say get them bearing clean and covered in grease, use some WD40 to clean em out !

Edited by liam n

the top bearing cover had the compression ring built in.

i took it to 4 different bike shops they where all stumped!

come to conclusion just to install new headset, so i bought new headset and installed it this afternoon and kaboom no problems now.

shall never know what it was buy hey ho fixed now.

:)

the top bearing cover had the compression ring built in.

i took it to 4 different bike shops they where all stumped!

come to conclusion just to install new headset, so i bought new headset and installed it this afternoon and kaboom no problems now.

shall never know what it was buy hey ho fixed now.

:)

did the old headset cups come out by hand?

i think thats a rockman slate frame? if so they tend to be a good tight fit for thr cup