every time i bleed my rear maggie, it is spongy?

ashleys sugden

so yesterday on the leeds ride, my brake packed in, it was a sticky piston. i solved that problem but since i let off the bleed yesterday, it wont bleed again properly. i never normally have problems with bleeding brakes so i do know how to bleed, both sringe ways and a bath bleed way. please can anyone help as i dont want to be riding a shitty spongy brake

best way ever, will make a brake feel like new without even a complete bleed, get a syringe, screw your bleed hose into the lever grub screw end, remove the plunger from the syringe and put on your hose, fill with fluid and then simply pump your brake in and out and few times, flicking its good as well also do the tpa right up and pump it, i tend to pump it a good 10 or so times! release tpa pump a few more times remove syringe replace grub screw and you will have an amazing feeling brake that is full up so will feel even better, takes all of a few minuets and makes it feel amazing! hope this helps

what lever are you using?

Edited by customrider-Rhys

best way ever, will make a brake feel like new without even a complete bleed, get a syringe, screw your bleed hose into the lever grub screw end, remove the plunger from the syringe and put on your hose, fill with fluid and then simply pump your brake in and out and few times, flicking its good as well also do the tpa right up and pump it, i tend to pump it a good 10 or so times! release tpa pump a few more times remove syringe replace grub screw and you will have an amazing feeling brake that is full up so will feel even better, takes all of a few minuets and makes it feel amazing! hope this helps

what lever are you using?

thanks mate ill give it a try, it is a 05 maggie

05-11 ones.. It's worked but there is a little flex with a two bolt booster.. Going have to get a four bolt booster

yeah aim them to the sky, good to hear it worked, bet the brake feel lovely, nice and responsive? how bads the flex? a little bits not a bad thing, a compleatly solid brake will reduce bite and give you arm pump on rocks and stuff

Edited by customrider-Rhys

Would this happen with water bleeding too? Since it was last done, (today) it the lever return is ALOT slower, any help? Sorry for jacking the thread!

lever should return faster with a water bleed, maybe a sticky piston or dirt got in when you bled it?

or was it oil bled before? water and mineral oil are pretty rank when they mix together.

lever should return faster with a water bleed, maybe a sticky piston or dirt got in when you bled it?

or was it oil bled before? water and mineral oil are pretty rank when they mix together.

if its been bled with water for a while then may be a sticky piston, best thing for that is to remove it and give it a little sanding, bit of light oil and replace it, if its oil water mix then flush it right out till what you want in there comes out pure!

just on the pistons on the slaves?

just take the pads out and pull the lever right in so it exposes the slave piston and put some oil on it, mineral oil would probably be best!

How much flex are we talking about? :)

erm a bit, it is clear that the frame is making no help, but the slaves i shall try tomorrow with mineral oil

just on the pistons on the slaves?

erm a bit, it is clear that the frame is making no help, but the slaves i shall try tomorrow with mineral oil

yep just rub some around them and that should make them return easier, doing the piston on the lever will make the most difference to a lazy brake, remove and lightly sand on both piston and bore, use like 1200 grit paper, and put some oil on that!

• Like 1

Thank you for all your help! Sorry again for hijacking but it seems like our problems are near enough the same! Will that make my brake snappy again? When I pull the lever, it takes about 1-2 seconds for the lever to be back to where it was unpulled...

In more detail when I pull the lever and let go, the lever pops back half way and then slowly goes back to its full untouched state...

I hope that's understandable? Dyslexia and a couple of glasses on Christmas Baileys may making me confusing aha

Thank you for all your help! Sorry again for hijacking but it seems like our problems are near enough the same! Will that make my brake snappy again? When I pull the lever, it takes about 1-2 seconds for the lever to be back to where it was unpulled...

In more detail when I pull the lever and let go, the lever pops back half way and then slowly goes back to its full untouched state...

I hope that's understandable? Dyslexia and a couple of glasses on Christmas Baileys may making me confusing aha

yeah doing the piston in the lever and the slaves should make it feel snappy and like new again! and being it will need a re bleed will make it feel perfect!

• Like 1