rotational tyre direction?

trials hoe

So I just stuck a new tyre on the back (super tacky high roller) and I'm a bit spoiled for grip as it is, but I'm wondering if there would be a benefit from running it the opposite way round to the stated rotation direction specified on the sidewall with regards to maximizing the level of grip?

The way I look at it, tyres have a designated directional rotation pattern so they can 'cut' through loose or muddy surfaces and shed any material caught in the tread while also minimizing rolling resitance. with trials muddy/sandy ect. surfaces are like the mortal enemy (to me anyway, i avoid them like the plague) and practicality is an area ignored with the whole trails scene, so a specific rotational direction becomes a moot point right?

Using an example the tryall stickys have a tread pattern the other way round to a conventional tyre, with 'normal' tyres like this /\ and the stickys like this \/ as you look down on the tyre from above....if you get what I mean :ermm:

I've been wondering about this and the advantage (if there was to be one) will only me marginal, but every little advantage is always going to be a good thing anyway, so anybody else had this thought?

chris :)

Edited by trials hoe
  • Like 1

that depends on the threads design,but yeah,most tyres get a lot more grip when put on like

-on the front "arrow"pointing forwards"

-on the rear "arrow" pointing backwards"

you´ll have to try,as every tyre reacts different in different positions.

but you cant damage anything,do it.

Edited by FamilyBiker