engineering careers (civil, structural etc)

arw_86

Hi, I'm thinking about a new career and stumbled upon a few engineering apprenticeships with Atkins and Jacobs (2 huge global companies). I know a bit about these types of engineering jobs but wanted to know if anyone was actually in these actual jobs and could review what they think of it and if they value it as a career?

I'm also looking at maintenance with Marriott hotels and lift engineer with Otis. Any insight into these careers would be ace.

I can't help you much but if you look at the apprenticeships normally there is a like a profile somewhere on the website where it's kind of like a diary of the apprentices week, or they have a blog set up for them so you can find out what's it's like.

Other than that I'd recommend working in the aerospace engineering industry I enjoyed it! And there's a few apprenticeships available for them, mainly Virgin Atlantic, monarch, BA and ATC Lashams.

Sorry couldn't help too much :)

Prawn did a degree in civil engineering (or some shit which involves bossing eastern Europeans around), he would be a good person to talk to.

Apparently it's the most cut throat business known to man; regardless of your quality of work if somebody is cheaper you're out on your boots.

Oh Lukas; I used to work at ATC Lasham for about 4 months. Was radical.

I'm a geotechnical engineer, work with Atkins a fair bit. Its pretty good... Atkins seem to be a good company to work for, depends on which office you're in of course. Starting to see an upturn in work load, a lot of geotech engineers were laid off but we're flat out now.

To me, an apprenticeship would be all hands on. Perhaps the company will pay you to go to college once a week. If you go through the office route think about doing a degree. I luckily hit on with the company I'm with. An office job for me involves design, CAD, calculation and boring stuff like writing procedures, quality assurance blah blah. Thankfully I can vacate my offices to the production side which I enjoy more and is a good chance to escape boring paper work.

Started writing a long post but gave up.

An apprenticeship at those companies will be quite in-depth but very job specific (not necessarily a bad thing). Atkins are a top notch company so is probably difficult to get in to (I got a first average for my first and second years in my Mech Eng degree and got declined at Babcock and Amey for my year in industry).

Anyway in short if you're actually debating it (which considering the creation of this thread is a yes) apply for it - you wont be short of work, you wont be bored and you will be challenged with work :)