Cracked Hub?

bike_dummie

Hi,

I have a rockman rear hub and it has cracked in the little pockets :( I have had the bearings out and it is defiantly a crack.

Is this to worry about? Like will it carry on spreading past the pocket where the material is considerably thicker?

What will happen if it cracks more and fails? Just would like to know the scenario incase it happens this weekend :(

IMAG0505_zpse0f2784d.jpg

Drill that middle bit out completely and make sure your spokes are nice and tight.

But it has cracked already in all of them? Past that little bit towards where it becomes thicker so am I right to say that it wouldn't work as it's too late ?

Edited by bike_dummie

You would need to remove all of the cracked material and just leave slots in there, as long as you leave a nice radius on the ends of the slot it shouldn't crack any further. If the crack has already propagated through into the thicker material then you're gonna be pretty stuffed.

Either way it is a full wheel strip down to be able to do it properly :(

Can't tell from the photo.

Or you could just ride it, it won't die completely that quickly.

Sorry i meant it has cracked in all of them but that is the worst one.

How long will it take to die? I usually ride for long periods of time :)

You would need to remove all of the cracked material and just leave slots in there, as long as you leave a nice radius on the ends of the slot it shouldn't crack any further. If the crack has already propagated through into the thicker material then you're gonna be pretty stuffed.

Either way it is a full wheel strip down to be able to do it properly :(

Hmm I think it is time for a new wheel as I don't have time to do all that or the skill to re build a wheel :(

Edited by bike_dummie