Disc brake pad compounds

HippY

Hello I am planning to get new pads for my Avid Juicy 3, but I saw several compounds, like organic, synthetic, carbon and dual compound types. what are the difference among them, and which one would suite best for a mod front needs?

organic pads have a plastic-like bonding material in which the friction particles are held,sintered pads are basically just metal flakes and graphite pressed under hydraulic pressure and heat.carbon pads explain theirselves(but i am sure theyre for rim brakes?),and i´ve never heard of synthetic pads to be honest ;)

edit:google says the synth. ones are made of glass fibre/aramid and also known as ceramic pads,which makes sense regarding the base materials

Edited by FamilyBiker

i found organic pads from koostop to be the best,they have the best cold bite,but no high temperature reistance,but that isnt needed for us,we dont go downhill.

your question would´ve been correctly spelled if you were asking "welche sind die besten?" though ;)

would be:" which are the best? " then,fyi

Edited by FamilyBiker

i found organic pads from koostop to be the best,they have the best cold bite,but no high temperature reistance,but that isnt needed for us,we dont go downhill.

your question would´ve been correctly spelled if you were asking "welche sind die besten?" though ;)

then probably organic will it be

there is a reason why I am in UK an not Germany :D

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACE-MATRIX-Avid-Juicy-3-5-7-Ultimate-Carbon-BB7-Uberbike-Disc-Brake-Pads-/151026201473?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2329dcf381

here is an example for carbon/kevlar pads

okay, so my question is still stand,what is the difference among these types of pads about usage for trials usage?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/RACE-MATRIX-Avid-Juicy-3-5-7-Ultimate-Carbon-BB7-Uberbike-Disc-Brake-Pads-/151026201473?pt=UK_sportsleisure_cycling_bikeparts_SR&hash=item2329dcf381

here is an example for carbon/kevlar pads

okay, so my question is still stand,what is the difference among these types of pads about usage for trials usage?

those are metal ones,it just says for ultimate carbon imo

whatever.

sintered:bad cold bite,great temperature resistance,less fading

organic :complete opposite to above

dual:mix of the above

the thing is that every manufacturer has its own compounds,like with rim brake pads,shimano organic pads suck,where koolstops rule...

Think you are right there. Everyone will have his or her own opinion and own preference. The disk may also have an effect and to be honest the whole setup of the brake. Best advice is to try different options and see which one works for you

I just recently bought Clarks for my BB7 and they are better than the sintered ones the brake came with but that doesn't say much. I would recommend the organic pads from Avid. They are the best pads I've used on this brake. They are certainly better than the KoolStop or Trickstuff pads for the BB7 (which uses the same pads as your Juicy).

btw: If you're still using your Avid rotor, get another one! Avid rotors suck big time.

Nico.

Edited by niconj