TY80 - what fuel mix / is unleaded petrol OK?

buzzeditor

I've just got a Yamaha TY80 for my son and was wondering what the oil / petrol ratio was?

The oil / petrol is mixed in the tank and the closest guess I have is 20:1 which is what my FS1-E was, back in the day>

Also, the bike would have tun on leaded fuel. Do I need to get a fuel supplement for unleaded?

I haven't ridden trials since the 80s (I used to have a Bultaco and a Montessa) and so am a bit out of touch.

Thanks.

More like 50 to 1! I used to run 80 to 1 on my Sherco with ipone oil and that was perfect.

Sounds very rich? Too rich for a motocross bike anyway. I didn't measure too accurately but It was around 100 - 120 for 5 litres of fuel.

But they are very different engines I suppose.

I've had a TY175 and 2x TY250s, all ran at 50:1. I'd imagine a TY80 would be the same?

Liam, if you put 100ml of oil in 5l of fuel, that's 50:1 not 25:1.

It's all a bit academic anyway IMO. 50:1 works out as 2% oil and 98% petrol, which is then vaporised into a lot of air. The physical amount of oil is tiny. Running at 25:1 will make almost no difference aprt from to your wallet.

Although you should check on trialscentral.com before doing anything as that is a motorbike trials forum.

Edited by Muel

25:1 for mowers and other yard equipment

50:1 for old motorbikes 60's-80's

100:1 for and bike from about 2005

With fuel just make sure you use a good one, I use our premium which is 98 octane

Use a good oil, make sure it's mixed up before use( if the drum sits to long the oil and fuel start to separate, so a good shake of the drum )

After a tank of fuel pull the spark plug out and see what the end looks like. If it's black and carbon coated you might need to look at the tuning of the carbie. If it comes out slightly brown carbon residue it's basically running perfect.