chris king hub spring

24martin

I've noticed a few people on here mention that they have a "custom neil tunnicliffe spring" for their chris king hub! I was wondering if anyone could shed any light on this? i have noticed even in some of neils videos that his chris king sounds a lot louder and crisper than mine if that makes sense?

my hub seems to be very quiet, and in the 8-9 months I've had it, its only skipped once, but on the occasions I've taken the hub apart I've always thought a beefier spring might help to prevent skipping under trials use!

any help would be appreciated, if a modified or upgraded spring does exist i would like to get my hands on one

Could just be standard spring but stretched?

Stretched out so it pushed the plates together with more force and in theory makes it louder and less likely to skip. Read from tarty though that it's not always that way in practice and can make your hub skip more if done incorrectly.

I don't know if tunni makes his own springs.

You used to be able to get heavyer springs from chris king years ago. I know they useda few different springs over the years.

Your best off chealning your hub and using some very light oil, no grease. You need to make sure the helical splined part is nice and clean and allowing the ring to move freely.

When you say skipped you mean it missed half a pedal rotation or just made a bang?

ideally i didn't want to stretch the original spring, as it doesn't appear to be the sort of spring that will stretch very well, looks like it will either bend out of shape or loose a lot from its overall circumference and then it wont fit back on to the other components very well.. so a slightly more beefed up spring is more what i was imagining he was using

when the hub skipped it missed about half a pedal rotation and made a slight bang, i had a feeling it was going to skip though as the days leading up to when it skipped the hub was progressively getting quiter and quieter by the day almost to the point were it was silent, and then it skipped, so i took it apart, meticulously cleaned every part again and tried a different type of lubrication on the ring drive gear and the corresponding gear to that, but still after a couple rides the hub is starting to get quiet again, seems every amount or type of lube i use, it doesn't matter, after a week or two of riding it produces the same results :'(

the hub was 2nd hand but in pretty good condition, none of the teeth are worn on any of the gears, but the spring seems very weak, its almost as if chris king use different springs in different hubs, I've got the single speed hub and it seems as if the spring inside this hub would be more suitable for a roadbike hub or something like that

How cold was it ? Have you tried wd40? From memory the singlespeed hub has an alloy drive shell so I would check the splines for and slight dents or burrs.

The stainless steel drive shells normaly sound a bit louder and crisper to.

Altough I had a single speed for years it was faultless.

My CK classic skipped once within the first week of me owning it (the hubs from '06 I think), I took it apart, cleaned everything up, (carefully) stretched the spring to f**k but played about with it after making sure everything went back correctly) and just used a drop of finish line on the splines. In the 3years I owned it it didn't skip again and was probably the loudest king I've heard