IXS Trail RS lid, Anybody Owned One?

Tom Booth

With a new bike I'm probably gonna push myself too far on I should probably replace my 9year old Giro Xen..

I've tried on various lids recently but nothing seems as well made, spotted these IXS lids and reviews look promising. Anybody on here with one to give any feedback? They seem a cracking lid for the money and read to be well made which is always good.

If not what are you wearing/rate? Anything would be interesting to hear about.

Yep. I've got one. It's a beaut. Most comfortable helmet I've ever had. It's set to be the helmet for 2014 :)

Also I should add I changed from a 5 year old Giro Xen.

They're nice and light, well ventilated and the adjustment is really simple with the wheel.

Also if you've got any facial hair the protected strap bit makes it a lot more comfortable than most helmets and you won't go trapping your beard in there.

Edited by Matthew62

All I needed to know. Cheers again Matt.

Glad you mentioned the facial hair thing, I haven't shaved since November so its abit long.

Ha, that's pretty good going. That was my aim in November but never stuck to it, but i'm rarely clean shaven and it's always been an issue with helmets, but not any more. The blue colour helmet is great looking in the flesh but I think stock might be running low on what's available though. Loads more coming in March though if the one you want isn't available.

Turned up this morning and all I can say is so comfortable! Unrolled the adjuster on the back, popped it on and tightened it up and it's more comfortable if not nicer then my old giro. Well impressed with it. Feels like it surrounds my whole head rather then just a few contact patches. Anyone looking for a new lid don't hesitate. Doesn't look massive either which is always a bonus.

Turned up this morning and all I can say is so comfortable! Unrolled the adjuster on the back, popped it on and tightened it up and it's more comfortable if not nicer then my old giro. Well impressed with it. Feels like it surrounds my whole head rather then just a few contact patches. Anyone looking for a new lid don't hesitate. Doesn't look massive either which is always a bonus.

That's exactly what I thought when I tried one on (as do a lot of people I know who have them). I always found Giro helmets whilst very nice (and with the exception of the old Semi-MX) that they very much sat on top of your head whereas the TrailRS sits over it and seems to cover a lot more without look bulbous. The extra coverage at the back is really nice as well. I think it'll eventually be popular with hoppy-hoppy trials riders for that reason.

I think a good helmet should be as discreet as possible so you don't notice a single element of it (annoying you) and I think the TrailRS is the best helmet I've ever had for that reason.

Yeah you can tell you've got it on, but it's not heavy and uncomfortable at all. It'll be very confidence inspiring I think. The contact around the head is perfect. Chuffed to bits, gonna save it for when the new bikes here I think, if I'm gonna go riding feeling abit alien I may aswell go the whole hog.

I have had my Giro Xen for about 8-9 years now and have been putting off replacing it because I'm not a huge fan of the way the new Giro helmets look. I had been looking at the Giro Feature but am put off by the lack of ventilation. The IXS Trail is now added to the short-list, will have to try and find somewhere I can try one on :)

Went my first proper trail ride today and the only thing I can criticize is how far the peak comes into your eyeline. A quick adjustment and it's all good.

You're not the first person to say that. I think it's due to how low the lid sits. Also sometimes people see the actual rim of the helmet rather than the peak.

I've only ever noticed it climbing and never descending, however I don't notice it at all now.

• 3 weeks later...

I went to Bike Park Wales on Saturday and while we were getting ready my mate was looking at my helmet and pointed out several hairline cracks in the polystyrene. Luckily the shop there had the IXS Trail RS in stock which I tried on at the end of the day, it felt pretty comfy so I will be ordering one in the future. Now I just have to decide which colour to get :P