Anyone know their onions regarding snorkelling?

N.Wood

Hello all.

I'm off on holiday in August and wanna go snorkelling. I went last time I was there, but tried like 3 different masks and they all leaked :(

So this year imma get a better one so it optimises enjoyment.

I'm guessing the best thing to do is to go to a shop and try some on? Any good ones in the south west? Can anyone school me on snorkels / fins / masks?

Thanks!

I have a set of Tusa kit that's quite a few years old now but really does the job nicely.

Split fins are awesome if you're a bit wimpy like me, I used to cramp up a bit but the split helps with that. I went for the open heel type too so you can walk around in your boots before clipping in, useful if you have to cross any rocks or whatever. As for snorkels, anything with a decent purge valve in the mouthpiece is gonna do the trick nicely. I can't really recommend specific models as my kit is outdated now, but TUSA is pretty damn good.

The reason I mention facial hair is that I found with a bit of a beard on the go my mask always filled up pretty easy.

Edited by Sam Nichols

I have a set of Tusa kit that's quite a few years old now but really does the job nicely.

Split fins are awesome if you're a bit wimpy like me, I used to cramp up a bit but the split helps with that. I went for the open heel type too so you can walk around in your boots before clipping in, useful if you have to cross any rocks or whatever.

As for snorkels, anything with a decent purge valve in the mouthpiece is gonna do the trick nicely.

I can't really reccoemend specific models as my kit is outdated now, but TUSA is pretty damn good.

The reason I mention facial hair is that I found with a bit of a beard on the go my mask always filled up pretty easy.

I have seen Tusa kits when I've been looking around, although when you know nothing it's hard to guage if it's complete dogshit or not. Good to know you've had good experience with them. Also seems like Atomic and Cressi are fairly decent?

Yeah split fin seems to be the ones to go for by the sounds of it. Do you buy your booties seperately? Are fins sized just like normal shoes? i.e I take a size 10 shoe, i take a size 10 fin?

Yeah I read about the facial hair and vaseline trick, will make sure I'm clean shaven when I go for a duff mive.

I should point out that all this gear I used for diving but I did do a fair amount of snorkelling with it too. This is the closest I could find to the kit I own... As you mentioned, they do some pretty decent kits, that's what I bought and the quality is really good.

http://www.tusa.com/eu-en/Tusa/Boots/DB-4000

http://www.tusa.com/eu-en/Tusa/Fins/SF-8_X-PERT_ZOOM

http://www.tusa.com/eu-en/Tusa/Snorkels/SP-240_IMPREX_II_HYPERDRY_ELITE

http://www.tusa.com/eu-en/Tusa/Masks/M-110S_VISIO_PRO

As for sizing, the boots will just be your normal size, I'm a size 10 like you and the size 10 fits well. If you get a chance to try before you buy that could be handy too! But in my experience their boots are true to life. With the fins, they cover a range of sizes so you need to check the individual fin sizing really.. Size 10 is normally a medium/large. They normally say like 10-14 is large or whatever. Because the fin itself doesn't fit like a shoe you can get away with going to the lower end of a size group, for example: if it says medium/large 8-10, large/xlarge 10-12 I'd go for the medium/large.

• Like 1

I did a lot over the years. Much prefer non-split fins with a closed heel, harder to walk in but I always thought they were more comfortable. I wore neoprene socks with them and they worked a treat.

As for masks, no idea, I was just lucky and the first one I tried on fitted well and I never needed to replace it.