Preemptive strike on my carbon forks?

*gentlydoesit

Rode my new bike twice now.. Sooo paranoid about ripping the top off my forks. I'm not very subtle about getting the front wheel in the air, the flex in the forks when I do is most disconcerting.

There is an insert already installed where the stem clamps on but I'm thinking of putting a much longer one in, from the crown to the top :D

So my questions are

Am I just being gay and they'll be fine?

Is there any obstruction in the tube to stop me? (Existing one accepted)

Will the extra strength cause a stress point else where?

What material to use? (TI tube I was thinking)

Any thouhts welcome. Cheers

Edited by *gentlydoesit

Generally (I did want to say it earlier but don't want to seem like I'm being a cock) I'd probably say do the modification. Your entire build has got "I'm gonna break" written all over it as a new riders first proper bike, I've seen good riders snap carbon forks that were only a few days old and this lad is used to riding top end stuff so knows what to expect and how to treat stuff.

Don't think I'd go with Ti as there's no give in it and steel will lose the whole benefit of running carbon forks.

I'm not very subtle about getting the front wheel in the air

That's one of the lowest amounts of force the steerer will see, stop stressing and just ride them :) They are designed to have some flex, as all parts are, else they will break.

*Foxy

Haha should have said it :) to be fair, I know... but its so cool I couldn't resist.

So there would need to be 'give' ? I wasn't thinking the ti alloy that everything else is made from, more a pure ti maybe grade 2-3

Been running my Rockman Carbons for a year now. Theve been absolutley bang on and i havnt had any problems with them. ( Touch wood )

am I wrong in thinking you have some finess though? Edited by *gentlydoesit

That's one of the lowest amounts of force the steerer will see, stop stressing and just ride them :) They are designed to have some flex, as all parts are, else they will break.

I see so many that have snapped, is that due to over tightening then?

I wouldn't say a low amount of force ;) I'm lacking in skill, so I make it up with in brutality :D I've snapped stems and bars on a bmx

It's why some people don't like using titanium bolts in stems and disc rotors as they can just snap without warning

I know its not what your saying... but I got mine from here http://litebolt.com/ guaranteed for life, and have a torque spec.

Know of any images of down the tube?

Edited by *gentlydoesit