DS Footjam Tailwhip?

Theo Sanders

Hi people,

I ride street trials at the moment, but on Echo Lite, and I've been learning this trick, ds footjam tailwhip, for a couple of days now. I can't quite do it because i either under rotate the tail, or myself. Do any of you streeters have any good tips for it? All advice appreciated!

I dare say they're slightly easier on Trials Bikes than BMX's unless you're riding brakeless, then they're the same.

I've just landed my first few on BMX, so my tips are gonna be brakeless orientated.

1) Hop into it, it'll make the landing easier, and it gives you a little extra force to get the back up.

2) Spot your front pedal. Then you'll automatically rotate yourself as much as you need to, to reach that pedal, its like when you do spins and the main rule is turn your head, as long as you're looking at it, you'll get to it.

3) hop out of it. If you're under rotating its probably because your tyres are gripping the surface and slowing your rotation, ideally you want to be hopping off the tyre and lifting it when you're about 90-120 degrees round.

The best thing you can do is just practice hopping out and getting yourself over the bike, don't worry about landing on the pedals until you can land on the floor with legs either side of the bike, when you can do that consistently, that's when you start trying to land pedals.

They're a real b*****d and not something you're going to pick up in a few days, just like any trick they require a massive amount of dedication. Don't just constantly try it though or you'll bet stupidly pissed off and never land it. Do them for 10 minutes, then have a break for a bit, then try them again.

And don't forget the golden rule: Don't be a bitch.

I dare say they're slightly easier on Trials Bikes than BMX's unless you're riding brakeless, then they're the same.

I've just landed my first few on BMX, so my tips are gonna be brakeless orientated.

1) Hop into it, it'll make the landing easier, and it gives you a little extra force to get the back up.

2) Spot your front pedal. Then you'll automatically rotate yourself as much as you need to, to reach that pedal, its like when you do spins and the main rule is turn your head, as long as you're looking at it, you'll get to it.

3) hop out of it. If you're under rotating its probably because your tyres are gripping the surface and slowing your rotation, ideally you want to be hopping off the tyre and lifting it when you're about 90-120 degrees round.

The best thing you can do is just practice hopping out and getting yourself over the bike, don't worry about landing on the pedals until you can land on the floor with legs either side of the bike, when you can do that consistently, that's when you start trying to land pedals.

They're a real b*****d and not something you're going to pick up in a few days, just like any trick they require a massive amount of dedication. Don't just constantly try it though or you'll bet stupidly pissed off and never land it. Do them for 10 minutes, then have a break for a bit, then try them again.

And don't forget the golden rule: Don't be a bitch.

What do you mean by spotting your front pedal?

Thanks guys, you've been a good help!

Just a final clarification, how many do you think you need to land in a row to be able to jump off the bike and yell proudly, "I nailed that f***ing trick!"

If 4 is enough, then well I got it today for the first time. Had threes yesterday but... just to make sure, you know :)

So, should I work on it for another week or so to get it perfect, or can I go on to variations like footjam ds whip drop or something? (Really excited to get to the good bit of streety stuff, can't wait to break some more bones :D )

• Like 1