Fixies

Hotchy

Fixies seem to be a pretty controversial topic, and I understand why, I will be the first person to say I dislike every fixie freestyle rider I have met so far.

But as a method of transport they seem more appealing than a standard road bike or mountain bike.

So I'm thinking of buying one when I get a job, so I can get there and back bus free. They also seem like a pretty good way to stay in shape, and I know pretty much any style of bike riding keeps you in shape, but I imagine Fixies are more work cause your legs constantly move.

What do you guys think? Yay, nay? Good idea, bad idea?

Depends on your route. Nice and flat mostly? Perfect for fixed gear. Up and down hills? I'd say you're better off with a single speed of some sort or a fixed gear with one brake minimum.

I ride a track fixed gear with no brakes on the road to work sometimes. My route to work is downhill, morning rush hour. It's a deathtrap. It's the only reason why I haven't ridden it into work much. It's just too dangerous.

I ride a track bike setup with a single front brake on a route with small rolling steady hills and a handful where I have to really push to keep pace up.

I average 18-19mph on the track bike over 10 miles and 16 on the road bike on exactly the same route.

Also I let a lorry overtake me before a junction, I stay on his tail about 4 meters behind for a mile or two down a lane and overtake him before he turns off.

Got this as a result even with a backpack full of work gear, genuinely don't think I'd have been as confident doing it on a road bike.

10595707_10204389103032041_1677505863_n.

Also if you do buy a fixie, weigh your gear ratio choice up on where you live, how long the route is, how many stop starts you're possibly gonna do etc. I'm on a 48-15 ratio and does the job nicely, climbed vicious hills on it quicker than road cyclists but it's knackering. You'll get fit quick if you stick at it because your body does have to work harder to ride one.