Onza T Bird fun project....

Fingerbang

Howdy!  Totally new to this forum; won't bore you all with my trials / bike credentials other than been riding all sorts of two wheeled stuff since I could walk.  

Recently left motorised trials riding (GasGas TXT Pro 250cc) switched to something else 'but' picked up the above mentioned bike for a £10.  It's all together, rusty bolts / nuts and sticky brakes, so needs a good strip down and rebuild.   

I do lots of project builds on various types of machinery so happy with the spanners.  This is just a fun project and something to bounce around on for fun - my competition days are over but I do have a sweet practice / fun area in my garden. 

So...... First up the headset looks totally shot.  Tried to tighten it up but whoever had it had installed it incorrectly hence the major side to side 'slap'.  Is this a 1 1/8th headset?  Figured I'd just get a replacement unit so at least I'm confident the front ain't going to fold on me while hopping around on it!

Any help / advice greatly appreciated - I'll post up some pics of the project if any one's interested as I go along! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, AdamAllen said:

Thats an Onza T-vee mate, T-bird of that age had a 19" Rear wheels and 4bolt mounts. You'll need an internal headset, If I were you Id just replace whats shot in there, should be easy enough :)

Probably easier to just to replace it, cheap too. 

12 hours ago, Fingerbang said:

URL]A tenner got me this......

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Are you sure that headset has been assembled correctly? There shouldn't be such a large gap between the headtube and top cover. 

Pretty sure this will fit, it will be an upgrade from what you got now! 

I'm not too clued up about internal headset, always preferred external. 

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.One23-Semi-Integrated-Sealed-Cartridge-Bearing-Headset_45694.htm?sku=118538&utm_source=Google&utm_medium=AdwordsProductAds&utm_campaign=Adwords&gclid=COn8_6alh8wCFYZuGwodWG4HzA#

Edited by bike_dummie

So after attempting to 'make it work' I succumbed and bought a new headset.  No matter what I did it wouldn't tighten..... And then I found the star nut was making a bid for freedom by sneakily working his way up the steerer tube.  The back end is now sorted - back wheel is straight, tires almost new looking, v brakes stripped cleaned and nice and springy.  Chain was approximately 1 mile long (ok 1/2 mile) so that's been shortened and everything that moves given a liberal dose of oil.

Once I got the headset in the bike will be ready to go so I'll post up a pic.  That headset more than doubled the value of this £10 project! ;)

First off - thanks bike_dummie!  Bought that headset.  Top stuff and managed to double the value of the bike! 

Fitted the headset, stripped the brakes, cleaned everything up, added some spare grips I had laying about, aligned the rear wheel and shortened the chain.

It is one fun ride!! Nice and sturdy feel; nothing feels loose or rattles.  A couple of 360 nose spins, curb hops, and I'm hooked!!!  I can see a much better bike in the future sitting next to my other toys but for now this'll do nicely to learn new skills on!!

Value wise - would this old bike be worth stripping, respraying and making pretty or a waste of cash!?  Would it be better to enjoy as is, bash about on it and then get something with disc brakes!? 

Having a nice looking bike is cool, but that doesn't look bad as it is in fairness - you'd probably get more out of that spray-paint money by getting some new pedals for it, or maybe some softer/grippier brake pads instead (or just holding it back for the next thing that inevitably goes wrong :P).

The brake pads are a bit hardened and a vice like grip is needed at the moment to keep it locked up so that's a good shout.  

I'm starting to like the 'patina' rat look (just like my old VW's) so I'm thinking now I'm going to get some basic 'good and new' clean and shiny bits and go as is. 

Cheers! 

They looked a bit like some BMX pads I used to use, and they were relatively hard - pads like the Onza Ice Pro V-Pads are pretty soft so should give you an instant improvement in power.  If they're the standard Onza (might be branded as 'DD' or something like that) levers, changing them to some Avid FR or SD7 levers would be a good shout too (Y)