Hookless rims for trials use?

Swoofty

I'm looking into carbon rims for my 26" Neuron and I'm a little uneasy that all the ones I'm considering are hookless - in particular the Nextie 35mm rims and the Light 33mm rims.  I run tubes at around 40 psi and Holy Rollers. Anybody have any experience with that setup or hookless rims in general? I've read the endless debates in the MTB forums, but most of them run lower pressure and tubeless (and not street trials!). On Light Bicycles website they recommend not to exceed 40psi on the hookless rims and that's on a tubeless setup. What's a timid shopper to do! Really just don't want to go through the trouble of building a whole wheel if the tire's not gonna stay on. Cheers.

Nextie got back to me about this and they said they would NOT recommend the setup I was seeking on their hookless rims (Holy Rollers, tubes, 40 psi). They didn't offer an alternate setup that would be more appropriate, however. No response from Light yet.

If it’s any help I’ve just got some Light Bicycle hookless rims and have been running them for the past week with no issues so far while running around 40psi...I’ve not done enything too extreme but I have bashed them a bit.

Also Danny’s running the Santacruz rims on his Trials bike which are hookless and he’s running over 50psi and has given them a lot of abuse with no tyre issues either. 

• Like 1

Yeah I'm waiting for your long term review of them, Ali. As it turns out, my front hub (Carbon Ti hub, rubish!) is giving me trouble so I've ordered a Light rim and a DT hub for a spare/replacement wheel. I figure the front wheel won't see near the abuse of the rear so should be a good test. I ordered the 33mm wide Light instead of the 38mm, we'll see.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Swoofty said:

Yeah I'm waiting for your long term review of them, Ali.

I'd really like to see that as well. Especially interested in torsional stiffness of the wheels on huge jumps to brake-induced full stop (Rolling to rear, gap to front).

Edited by stirlingpowers

• 2 weeks later...

Increasing my carbon footprint. Got the Light rim and laced it up to a DT Swiss 240. I didn't have a chance to ride it this weekend, sadly, so it might be next weekend before I can check it out. They are deep rims and it took me extra time to find a tube with a 48mm presta valve. The rim came with building instruction which I have included below; interesting reading. I'll let you know how it all goes. 

Light wheel.jpg

Light Instructions.jpg

• Like 1

Finally got 2 days of riding on the new Light carbon rim and so far so good. The Holy Rollers were pretty tight on the rim (and not new either) so they should stay put. I'm running 35-40psi with a tube and no issues yet. I tried to do as many front wheel punishing moves that I could so it's as good a test as I can muster so far. I'll give a long term review down the road.

Light sun.jpg

• Like 2