Which rear disc brake for pure trials?

rupintart

Getting a custom frame made, dual disc stock. What's changed in the past 10 years?  Read a couple older threads, it used to pretty much just be BB7 or if you got a Hope Trials that worked, use that. 

But now with the Saint around, MT7, ...what else is there?  Don't really care about modulation. See a lot of people running Saints on Inspireds, but people also complaining about adapters breaking, etc.  I have a Formula The One on the front of my Crewkerz, and while it's great 98% of the time, that 2% doesn't inspire much confidence.  There have been times where it has slipped for whatever unknown reason.  

I have been somewhat intrigued by the Paul Klampers.  I read that when they were being designed, he didn't want flex or pad movement and they're a little heavy, relatively speaking, because he wanted them to be stiff.  So I was thinking, get the short pull lever with the long pull caliper.  Highest mechanical advantage in both.  Stiff caliper, should make for a solid brake.

Regardless of the brake chosen, I'll be getting the EBC red pads....just need to know what everybody has been using on the rear these days.

I currently use a 4 pot XT front and rear. Use Trialtech pads in the rear and I find it really powerful and grabby and that is only on a 160mm rotor on 24”. I find the Trialtech pads grabbier than reds with less modulation so depends what you are after. My choice of XT’s was mainly as didn’t enjoy the lever feel of Hopes pulling further than bite point, the Shimano lever tends to feel stiffer at bite point - against Magura I can’t compare as haven’t used but was put off by price and had read bits around the levers being prone to breaking when impacted. You are right on the above though - upgrade the brackets. I snapped two Shimano standard ones in as many rides. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I’m leaning towards Shimano simply for the reason you stated....the bite point.

Luckily, I’m having the disc tab +40 so I don’t have to use any adapters or worry about those things breaking (it’s a 26” bike).

still keeping the Klamper in mind for mechanical....

• 2 weeks later...