Tyre choice: Jitsie Reverz vs Clean Koala

Target

I've had the Reverz on front and rear for about a year now and I really like them both. The front has been bald for some time now, but the rear has a fair amount of tread left. I've had only one flat and that was from sliding off the side of a pointy rock (rear tire). It hooks up very well in all I've asked it to do. I can't say much about wet bc it never really rains here in Southern California. The Koala tires were harder to come by when I bought this set, but most people I've talked to who have them say they're about the same all in all.

• Like 1

I think they're very similar tyres (made in the same factory?) with possibly the same compound, the Clean is a little heavier (but it does have bigger tread lugs) but it would last longer. I have both tyres on different bikes and grip is pretty good for both, the Jitsie is setup tubeless though to save even more weight

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Are we talking mod or stock here? Ali has the big wheels covered, I'll say what I know about the little. I bought a new mod and it came with koalas, the front is just fine, a little rounder of a profile that I was used to, but seems very good all in all. I was not at all satisfied with the koala on the rear, just too flimsy of a sidewall for me. Background I ride both stock and mod and just came back to mod after a good stint of primarily stock with a Der kaiser on there, so a stable tire is very important to me. The koala had really good bounce, but I found at the pressure I wanted for the bounce and grip it would fold rather abruptly on angled stuff. So I tried a Jitsie next and found it to be better. Not groundbreaking, but just a little more stable. I still had to run more pressure than I liked. I ended up going back to a fairly worn Monty because it is the most stable of the modern mod tires I have found and wish Tarty could get there hands on more. When it finally starts being too slick (when fall and wetness returns) I'll go back to the Jitsie for traction and just run a lot of pressure. The koala is for emergency use only in my opinion, but it depends on your riding style, like everything else.

• 2 months later...

Is it just me or are these comp tires actually worse in wet than say Maxxis or other soft mtb tires? Talking about Jitsie myself, feels like the compound itself just doesn't stick in wet surfaces at all compared to Minion DHF I used to run. It's weird, like the compound is super soft and wears fast but it feels rather plasticky or foamy and not tacky like Maxxis.

In any other aspect, the Reverz is my favourite tire so far front and rear. Haven't tried any other comp tires though.