Replacement rotors and pads for Inspired Fourplay? Brakes slipping.

Rip

The BBB BBS-371S has been the holy grail for MT5/MT7 brakes for me. The pad compound seems to be somewhere between Magura's 9.P and Trialtech's compound and you get the best of both worlds in that they are MT5 style, but with MT7 retaining pin holes. I only use these on the rear; the 9.P is great up front and pad knock eventually goes away. Bike24 has the BBBs.

169564-00-d-305358.jpg

Just now, Swoofty said:

The BBB BBS-371S has been the holy grail for MT5/MT7 brakes for me. The pad compound seems to be somewhere between Magura's 9.P and Trialtech's compound and you get the best of both worlds in that they are MT5 style, but with MT7 retaining pin holes. I only use these on the rear; the 9.P is great up front and pad knock eventually goes away. Bike24 has the BBBs.

169564-00-d-305358.jpg

Thanks, I'll definitely keep those in mind but first I want to try the standard 9.P pads as a kind of baseline. 

I went through similar process on my 24" bike that has MT7 brakes. I wasnt happy with the stock magura performance, pads/rotors most likely contaminated as the bike is 3rd hand etc etc..

So I put on 203mm shimano rotors, after seeing what Ali C runs and got Jitsie pads. Now they do have insane stopping power but any thoughts of modulating a manual etc is just beyond my ability with them and I guess running the bigger rotors exacerbated it.

I have literally spent hours trying to get the pads to not rub and be noisey. I've pretty much given up with these Jitsie pads. Its great to see some suggestions for pads that work well in the MT7 brake. Will see if I can get some 9P locally and start again.

• Like 1

I've been very impressed with the abilities of a Magura MT4 up front with 203 rotors. I ran MT5s for years up front, but the MT4 gives you plenty of power (for the front), but with great modulation. The MT4s also retract the pad farther than the MT5/7s so less rubbing in general. Plus, there's quite a few aftermarket MT4/6 pads to choose from, although the 9.Ps are great pads all around. The MT8s have been discontinued and you can find them for pretty cheap now (comparatively). I've always wanted to try one of those up front.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cookie70 said:

I went through similar process on my 24" bike that has MT7 brakes. I wasnt happy with the stock magura performance, pads/rotors most likely contaminated as the bike is 3rd hand etc etc..

So I put on 203mm shimano rotors, after seeing what Ali C runs and got Jitsie pads. Now they do have insane stopping power but any thoughts of modulating a manual etc is just beyond my ability with them and I guess running the bigger rotors exacerbated it.

I have literally spent hours trying to get the pads to not rub and be noisey. I've pretty much given up with these Jitsie pads. Its great to see some suggestions for pads that work well in the MT7 brake. Will see if I can get some 9P locally and start again.

I'll let you know what the 9.P pads are like in a few days when they've arrived and been bedded in. 

I can only imagine what Jitsie pads with 203mm rotors feels like!