Another TMS Silex 26!

Daan

On 3/23/2023 at 3:25 PM, Daan said:

So, tried the 110 mm for one ride, don't like it too much. Front end is a bit too high for my liking. Going to put a regular 90 mm one on now, like everyone else :)

Out of interest, have you tried reducing the amount of headset spacers? That's what I did to my Silex 24, running 10mm instead of 20mm which feels good to me:

331563703_755950879380907_64930119414654

15 hours ago, The Dark Knight said:

Out of interest, have you tried reducing the amount of headset spacers? That's what I did to my Silex 24, running 10mm instead of 20mm which feels good to me:

331563703_755950879380907_64930119414654

I've only got 5 mm to play with on my Silex with this stem unfortunately, figured that won't matter much. The Inspired fork had a bit more steerer length.

14 hours ago, Mark W said:

In case any of you want to experiment with stem and spacer combos, this is a handy little tool: http://www.yojimg.net/bike/web_tools/stem.php

Yup, great little tool! For ultimate nerdiness I've always thought it'd be great if you could input and compare different head angle plus stem combo's too. Might whip something up when I've got some more time on my hands :)

On 3/15/2023 at 9:03 PM, Daan said:

Have you tried the 35°x110 mm stem yet @Tharun Shiv

I still haven't ordered a 110×35, I've still been procrastinating over it lol..

On 3/23/2023 at 8:55 PM, Daan said:

So, tried the 110 mm for one ride, don't like it too much. Front end is a bit too high for my liking. Going to put a regular 90 mm one on now, like everyone else :)

Ah okay, im just used to the extra height on the front end as i rode a DJ bike as my trially for a long time! 

Haha yeah, with the 110 it's certainly high :D One ride with the 90, and all feels very familiar again. Though my riding has absolutely suffered from that wrist breakage, not that I feel it much or think about it while doing a move, but the flow and the bit of suppleness that I had are just not there. Frustrating!

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/29/2023 at 4:10 PM, Daan said:

Haha yeah, with the 110 it's certainly high :D One ride with the 90, and all feels very familiar again. Though my riding has absolutely suffered from that wrist breakage, not that I feel it much or think about it while doing a move, but the flow and the bit of suppleness that I had are just not there. Frustrating!

Update on the stem situation!

I wanted more height and couldn't stack more than 2 spacers due to the forks coming pre-cut stock, so i got a 120×40° giving me the height of a 130mm and reach of a 110mm stem and i took the current spacers off and reduced it to one so now it acts as a 110×35° stem so no worries about the steerer tube being pre-cut either, now the bike feels just right and much more comfortable, gotta go on a proper ride tomorrow to actually see how it feels! Bonus points the stem i got from control-tech is lighter than the 90mm trial-tech but I'm unsure about the strength as it's not a trials specific brand but we'll see how it goes in the future haha (nervous laughter)

IMG20230416174246.jpg

IMG20230416174255.jpg

@Tharun Shiv 120 mm, dude, there goes your street cred! :biggrin: But if it rides well, it rides well; curious to hear how you get on. And just keep an eye out for cracks :)

I reckon I've found the sweet spot with the 90 mm, also don't want to be changing stems much with the brake hose routed through the fork haha.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Daan said:

@Tharun Shiv 120 mm, dude, there goes your street cred! :biggrin: But if it rides well, it rides well; curious to hear how you get on. And just keep an eye out for cracks :)

I reckon I've found the sweet spot with the 90 mm, also don't want to be changing stems much with the brake hose routed through the fork haha.

Technically 110×35° hahah, but i did ride throughout the week and the bike just feels perfect, more rear wheel × front wheel control and the height makes the bike feel much more familiar to me so i think I'm gonna stick to this, the stem feels pretty solid too!

Forgot to add this, surprisingly the spinny moves feel easier too maybe it's because of the height..

Edited by Tharun Shiv

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Sam Song said:

Tires keep on changing on every photo. Haha

What is your favorite so far in the back? Are you running it tubeless with an insert? Did you like the Race King?

Haha, well, the bikes keep changing in every photo too :D

In all seriousness though, favourite so far is the Maxxis Ikon 2.35". It was a bit too wide for the frame (my old Hex), but had the best grip and felt nicely damped, maybe also because of the volume. Didn't last too long unfortunately, started wobbling a bit much. In all fairness, I might have damaged the bead with a tyre lever (plastic though, so pretty delicate bead).

The Race King is alright. Does last longer under me than the Racing Ralph, ripped the tread right of them in the back. Grip in damp conditions is where I usually notice my tyres, but haven't ridden anything damp anymore after my wrist breakage, so can't comment on that unfortunately.

And yeah, always tubeless, always an insert :)

• Like 1