Echo TR Lever Change

Chakers1998

Hi all,

Has anyone ever used a different lever on an Echo TR disc caliper? The levers do work to be fair to them but they do leave something to be desired, and are known to leak. I have used an m820 Saint lever on a Trial Zone caliper, which is what the TR is based on, but I'd like to hear if anyone has tried something in the past. 

Asked this a few weeks back. There was a guy who'd used Shimano levers (saint) and Hope Tech3 levers (with Hope Dot compatible seals in the calliper) to good effect. You'll gain a lot of power, as the Echo lever uses a stupidly large MC piston.

I've put on a set of MT5s myself, could get them for just a bit more than a bunch of Shimano levers, so figured that was the best option :)

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Daan said:

Asked this a few weeks back. There was a guy who'd used Shimano levers (saint) and Hope Tech3 levers (with Hope Dot compatible seals in the calliper) to good effect. You'll gain a lot of power, as the Echo lever uses a stupidly large MC piston.

Hi! I'm that guy! Nice to see the information being used.

Anyway of the two (mineral/dot) the hope was just a monster with jitsie/trialtech pads and sintered rotor.

I played around with alot brakes back in the day and by far the best i have used is the above but with EBC organic pads on organic rotor.

Be warned though absolutely any contamination with organic setup goes from chainstay bending power to nothing without warning ⚠️ 

Try decent pads/rotor first before lever change. Improvement is guaranteed.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tidy said:

Anyway of the two (mineral/dot) the hope was just a monster with jitsie/trialtech pads and sintered rotor.

I played around with alot brakes back in the day and by far the best i have used is the above but with EBC organic pads on organic rotor.

Be warned though absolutely any contamination with organic setup goes from chainstay bending power to nothing without warning ⚠️ 

Love the Frankenbrakes. A shame the Echo calipers are IS mount, bit of a pain to get them aligned with the washers, especially on a frame with a horizontal track style dropout. The other thing that keeps me from experimenting with them is the huge height of those Echo/Hope pads, and the type of rotor they require because of that. Basically only Hope V2 or Trial Zone rotors will work nicely, and they're way too expensive. At least to me they are, I bend rotors for breakfast.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/13/2024 at 4:58 PM, Tidy said:

I happen to have a spare set of tech 3 levers from where I converted my trial zones to mineral oil with saint levers. I'll be putting some hope seals in the echo caliper and see how it goes. I've put Jitsie pads in and they're much better than the echo pads.