Bmx Questions

BONGO

Hey,

Can I pick up a decentish rear wheel (chromed as I'm told that's best for braking) for £50?

Also what lever do you suggest? I have a Diatech Gold Finger, but surely a longer lever blade will be better?

What brake pads? My brakes shockingly shit since I got rid of my Odyssey Hazard Lite rim :P

And finally, where's the best shop's to get this stuff from? Online please :)

Thanks in advance!

EDIT:

BONGORear brake :

Dirty harry lever, as above.

Odyssey evolver brake, as above.

Dragonfly gemini top cable. Sprayed with wd40 and worked in as much as possible.

Twin lower cables, both odyssey slic cables. Lubed as with the front brake.

Chrome rims cleaned with muc off and never touched with anthing except the brake pads, which are all plaz flies.

Ooops, you seem to have answered it there. But what shop's do you suggest? And which wheel can i pick up for £50 that will be decentish?

Edited by CH!P

www.customriders.com or www.alansbmx.com

are the best i'd say.

Could you explain the 'Thin springs' thing a bit more John? Do they come with the brake, or do you buy them elsewhere?

with an odyssey evolver, which is really what you want if you want to get a top brake, you get a set of big fat heavy springs, and a set of thinner more responsive springs.

You SHOULD use the thinner smaller springs if you want a better feel. Simply try both and you'll see why.

and about the wheel......... possibly THIS

Hofman make really good freewheel hubs. Really smooth. Also they do have some quality rims in their line. No point looking for a cassette at the price bracket you have so i'd get that even though it's slightly more than you said, it'll last a long time.

john

Thanks alot Bongo... ordered it just now :P Lets see how it goes, also ordered a Dirty Harry Lever last night and a new tyre. Might get upto some riding on it now, seeing as everyone's about quit riding and Tez is going on holiday :( Ahwell, mabye the summer will bring rider's :)

Just wana say that the new heatsink v-pads work incredibly well on my rhytno lite 24" rim (slightly polished) so if you cant afford v-flys then they are definately another option.

as far as gyros go i LOVE my back brake now i put a dragonfly top cable/s on. another great, cheaper option to a better brake.

brake setup -

tektro shorty lever

dragonfly uppers

twin lowers (trx24 style)

standard odyssey gyro

diatech hombre arms

heatsink v-pads.

feels silky smooth and i cat TRUST it :P

i'm thinking of verging into the world of BMX, so 'm looking for a decsent one around the 300-350 mark, i will be mainly doing street7park and occasionaly dirt, soo if anyone has any ideas aboot which bike to get, i'll be eternally gratefull (Y) :lol:

P.S i'm also 6'4 so i was thinking of a longish toptube length, maybe 21" ?

• 5 weeks later...

Hey Bongo (Mainly)

Right, I've been thinking on getting a BMX setup for a while now... and now my bike has gone long, low and silver (shamefull) although it has improved my trials its not all I want from my riding, I still need the fun of a good manual, nice spin or to try something new (like grinding on a BMX).

Therefore Im now more than ever intrested in picking up a nice ride.

I'll be riding street and park style stuff, no flatland no vert. I've looked through the thread a bit but would like to know a few things from you point of view on whats best/needed.

Things I'd need are a nice brake setup (F+R if possible) Im 6ft1 and alot of BMX's I've been on felt short, I found them really hard to bunnyhop without hitting my knees etc and usually catch my heels on the pegs (is this normal?) So a reccomended frame lenght too.

In trials I love having a profile but at a guess I doubt its an essential first buy on a BMX?

So whats your current top street/park build for £300-£500 to suit my needs?

Let us know a few options if possible and where to get them for the best price and service?

Cheers then (Y)

Olly

Munki, I've used this for a fair while, and it's been battered to f**k (seriously) but it's still running perfectly fine. You can get it in pretty much every size as well, which is a plus point. I've got the 36T version, but I'm thinking of moving down to like 27T maybe.

As for cranks, you're not really gonna find any awesome cranks for less than about £80 to be honest. There are these though, which seem alright I guess. I'd look for a decent set of second hand ones though, really.

It's your bike, do whatever the f**k you want with it you twat!

Munki, I've used this for a fair while, and it's been battered to f**k (seriously) but it's still running perfectly fine. You can get it in pretty much every size as well, which is a plus point. I've got the 36T version, but I'm thinking of moving down to like 27T maybe.

As for cranks, you're not really gonna find any awesome cranks for less than about £80 to be honest. There are these though, which seem alright I guess. I'd look for a decent set of second hand ones though, really.

Thank you my darling. It looks like all your nagging has paid of...

Only thing with those is they have a single pinch bolt which is shite basically. I seem to remember you could get "Jawbone" 3 piece cranks from Stowes cycles in mbuk aaaages ago, providing the bearings are ok quality these would be fine. They're based on a fairly fundamental design which can't really be deviated from too much so it would probably be okey cokey.

If you can stretch though Nic, you'd might as well save up for some lovely Profile goodness which any BMXER will tell you are the bollocks. At £120 starting price they are well out of you're range though. I suppose it's just down to you. Talk on msn if you have any queries dude.

James

If you have U-brake mounts, you can put EVO caliper brackets on upside down.

Not sure about rim grinding - the Evolver/chrome rim/plaz pad setup (a la Bongo) works fine for me. Keep meaning to fit the softer springs at the front though.

Oh yeah, and this year's Hoffman bikes are shit hot.

I think ill leave the maura idea as someone sai a busted ose is game over.

Im liking the u brake now moved the lever further in the bar and it seems to be nicer on my finger now.

Are the dirty harry levers meant for 1 or 2 finger braking asi have a spare one of those mini leavers that are for 1 finger brakin.

What kind of gear ratios do you trials and BMX'ers run?

I've got a somewhat standard 36:13 ratio thats meant to be good, but It really seems so hard to pedal, mainly I'll never need to go fast as I can pedal with this setup and yet when I 180 and land fakie the gear ratio is so hard its impossible to swing around!

Now I know your not meant to run say 18:12 like on my mod, so is somewhere in between acceptable for BMX? Say 26/27:13?

Also is it a good idea (if I change sproket) to go for one with a little grind, bash ring bit on? if so what reccomendations you guys got?

Lastly Plaz pads? What shops currently have them in stock? and what household substitutes for mucoff may work :(

Cheers Olly.

I've got a somewhat standard 36:13 ratio thats meant to be good, but It really seems so hard to pedal, mainly I'll never need to go fast as I can pedal with this setup and yet when I 180 and land fakie the gear ratio is so hard its impossible to swing around!

Now I know your not meant to run say 18:12 like on my mod, so is somewhere in between acceptable for BMX? Say 26/27:13?

Also is it a good idea (if I change sproket) to go for one with a little grind, bash ring bit on? if so what reccomendations you guys got?

Lastly Plaz pads? What shops currently have them in stock? and what household substitutes for mucoff may work

Even 28:13 is probably a bit light - you'd be best going nearer 33 if you want a reduction. You'll soon get used to it. I don't use the bash/grind plate idea, although they are good if you think you'd use it.

Plaz pads, you could try selectbikes.com. I bought some from CleanBikes and they ended up costing (including P+P) about £20 for a pair.

this might be off topic a bit but anyway

where can i download some good BMX videos and also is their a forum for bmxers like trials forum ?....thanks

BMX Videos Here

As for forums Im signed upto www.bmx-world.com seems pretty good place but it covers the whole world.

Oli Im using 25:12 but its too easy and I know its not right but until I can afford a Profile with 9th its how its gonna be. Also Im finding the opposite to you when bunny hopping 180 I tend to go very fast to stop me using the pedals to get me rotating and I cant roll backwards fast enough and the back locks up. Im sure practice will make perfect.

I have a problem with my brake.

It set up fine pulling it in stops the bike quite nicley but the pads do not return fully and Im left with pads rubbing on the rim.

How to I stop this.

Most likely one of about 3 reasons.. Yo need to lubricate your cables by spraying the apporpriot spray down your cables (in the inside) or you need to buy new outer cables because they may have pulled through and are making it feel nasty.

Or you need to tighten your springs on the u-brakes by twisting the adjuster with a spanner.

Just though I'd let you people know I went to Billy's in Cambridge to get some muc-off, ended up buying a Weldite alternative bike cleaning spray (Red £5.50) and also tried out some Soft Grey Gusset U-Brake pads, got home stuck them on and instantly the brake was really loud and stopped better :S

They have yet to lockup really well probably havent bedded in yet but there showing good signs so far, and the best bit only £3.99!! :P

Olly.

Right brake sorted just now I need new rims on the cheap side I was looking at sun black boxes, there light, black, come in 36 hole and may be single wall but i msure a good wheel build will make them strong.

Good choice or bad choice whatever there still cheap and eyeleted, £30 a pair cheaper than some single rims.