Networking Problem

TheChai

right i got my router connected the computers and got internet working for both of them... but the internet connection wouldnt last, my browers would stop loading and the little signal thing bottom right hand corner would stop blinking, and i will get signed off msn.

Then i repair the connection and it tells me its unable to renew the IP address, i never had this problem when i wasnt using the router.

anyone knows how i can overcome it? thanks in advance.

edit:it would auto reconnect after abt 2 mins but it would still happen again soon after.

andrew

Edited by TheChai

right i got my router connected the computers and got internet working for both of them... but the internet connection wouldnt last, my browers would stop loading and the little signal thing bottom right hand corner would stop blinking, and i will get signed off msn.

Then i repair the connection and it tells me its unable to renew the IP address, i never had this problem when i wasnt using the router.

anyone knows how i can overcome it? thanks in advance.

edit:it would auto reconnect after abt 2 mins but it would still happen again soon after.

andrew

It sounds like a problem with the router. It has a thing build in (DHCP) that dishes out IP addresses to all the PCs on the network. It sounds like that's not working properly. Check the router settings (you'll need to type 192.168.0.1 into the browser, probably) for DHCP. Otherwise, assign an IP to each computer from Control Panel|Network|Properties|TCP/IP properties. The IPs have to have the first 3 "bits" as all the other computers and the router. The other bit has to be different.

E.g. router: 192.168.0.1

PC 1: 192.168.0.2

etc (any number between 1 and 254)

For subnetmask you want 255.255.255.0 for a standard class C network. Eg if you have the computers/router on the 192.168.100.x network. where x is a number between 1 and 254.

invalid subnet mask still... (N) cheers for the help so far guys really appreciate it

invalid subnet mask still...  (N)  cheers for the help so far guys really appreciate it

Yeah, I dunno why it's 255.255.255.0, but every small network I've used has been like that. I would guess that you could use any number, just like the router doesn't have to be 192.168.0.1, but almost always is...

Just make sure the subnet mask is the same for all PCs and router and there shouldn't be a problem...

It is quite possible that your router is shagged. I had a D-link one that kept cutting out, it was very annoying. If it's that, just take it back.

A subnet mask just defines how many portions of the ip address can be used as host addresses, and how many can be used for networks. In a 'class C network' (255.255.255.0) it is only the last octet that can be used for host addresses (eg. 192.168.100.x). If you need more than the 244 hosts that a class C allows, you can move the subnet to a 'class B network' (255.255.0.0) this means you can use the last 2 octects of the IP address for host addresses (eg 192.168.x.x). Class A follows a similar pattern. You can also subnet an IP range to adjust the network/host portions accordingly, but this is a little more complicated.

Also, according to CISCO a router 'should' (by convention) be on .254, not .1 as this 'should' be reserved for the Primary domain server, but obviously you can use whatever you want within the same IP range.

Just thought some people might be interested in some background on subnets.

Do you know why it's 255.255.255.0 as opposed to, say, 2.2.2.0 or something?

http://www.j51.com/~sshay/tcpip/ip/ip.htm

http://www.blogontheweb.com/ccna/archive/2...02/16/3667.aspx

http://www.thenetworkadministrator.com/hac...tAddressing.htm

There's loads of stuff on Google about subnetting. Just depends on how technical you want to get/can understand.....

:: Phaze ::

As for the router problem, sounds like a dodgy DHCP server. It may be set by default - for some mad reason.... - to refresh IPs every 2m (120s) or something?

Try flashing the Firmware, or resetting the system to factory settings....

Do you know why it's 255.255.255.0 as opposed to, say, 2.2.2.0 or something?

I think in simple terms .255 means that there are 254 host addresses available in that octet of the IP address, i.e. addresses from 1 to 254. If you have a subnet of 255.255.255.240 i think that would allow 14 host ip addresses rather than the usual 254, thus giving you scope for more networks.

Sorry that isnt the best explaination, but im a bit rusty on the subject. I hope that gives you a basic idea.

Edited by giptown