Sempron 2400+

David

I have seen a good deal for a cheap retail sempron 2400+ which I am going to build into a cheap pc. Basically i have never over clocked a cpu before and I am unsure how do do it (well i have a basic idea) All I really know is it can go wrong and you need lots of cooling hehe.Any help please?

Thanks,

dave

To make the CPU run faster than it's standard core and memory speed's? Just something to have a bit of fun and experiment with innit :(

Some guidlines -

1. Make sure you have at least a fairly decent HSF for your CPU.

2. When upping your FSB and multiplier clock, take it in tiny steps, and occassionally up the voltages aswell.

3. After every step up in speed, run some of your normal process's for ten minutes to make sure everything is stable.

4. Always keep an eye on your temperaures. Something like MBM5 is a useful utility for this.

HSF = HeatSink Fan.

FSB = Front Side Bus

MBM5 = MotherBoard Manager 5

Edited by Fishwog

hehe no shit, i know what overclocking is... I just dont see the point in overclocking a chip like a sempron, that isnt going to gain much! Even clocked to its maximum it wont be good enough for all the latest games on max settings or anything! And for anything else eg media center like, you dont need clock speed... Its not hard to overclock it but its not gonna get you very far!

hehe no shit, i know what overclocking is... I just dont see the point in overclocking a chip like a sempron, that isnt going to gain much!  Even clocked to its maximum it wont be good enough for all the latest games on max settings or anything!  And for anything else eg media center like, you dont need clock speed... Its not hard to overclock it but its not gonna get you very far!

Actually...

I don't really know what the SocketA semprons are like, but the Sempron 3100+ are really good for overclocking. And it's just kinda like getting something for nothing - however fast your processor, you can always make it that bit faster. But you would, still, be better off with a similarly priced AthlonXP and overclocking that I think.

And you should use a program called Prime95 to test if your overclock is actually stable.