Long Wheelbase Vs. Short Wheelbase

dahouse

I was wondering, the latest trend is long wheelbases, but I'd like to know what advantage other than bunnyhopping and manualing a short wheelbase bike has for trials? By short, I mean 1000mm to 1020mm. I know the Norco Team Trials and the Zebdi have about 1015mm wheelbase and I wonder how a 1010mm wheelbase would feel.

Trials is so young the only "trend" has been for longer wheelbases, but it's not really a trend, is it? Trials bikes have only been mass-produced for a relatively short space of time, so it's still all basically new development. Longer wheelbase bikes work well for a lot of riders, and it's helping people go bigger and so on. However, other riders prefer streetier stuff and want a more flickable bike, so they go for WB's nearer the 1000mm mark that the 1100mm mark. There's a lot of bikes around the 1050-60mm sorta point, and that seems to be the sorta average-ish size. It seems to have levelled off there. I know in a year I'll probably eat my words, but I can't *really* see these uber high BB, super long trials bikes taking off? But who knows...

I can... People have just about got used to the levelbosses and Cousts and stuff, and now can cope a lot better with the extra length, then a bit more might help. If the Vinco had come out before the levelboss, no-one would be able to control such a barge of a bike. I can see bikes getting even longer, but also people realising that longer is NOT equal to better in all cases. So I reckon there will be a greater range of lengths of bikes for people to enjoy, and different people will find a length that's right for them. The tallest people might be riding things even longer than Vincos (See the thread in Sites/vids)...

I have a t-lite, WB 980mm. Would you consider that to be a street bike, for bunnyhopping, manualing, 180's etc?

I always asociated long bike with street (and i say street with CLS's type of riding) and short bikes with natural, power moves not needed as much, more technicalitys, and possibly acuracy. But now i am not sure >_<

I'm also unsure of the definition street, is it CLS's type of riding, or more - possibly, ryan leech type of riding, bunnyhops, 180's, that type of stuff.

B)

Edited by JT!

Well the reason I ask is because I really want to make a custom do it all frame for street/park and trials. So far, my Planet X ghost seems really ackward for it so I figured I'd use something with a shorter wheelbase, say 1000 or 1010mm and see how it goes but I'd love to know how a shorter wheelbase effects ones ability to do trials.

i like my planet-x alibongo, the bb height took a while to get used to but makes every thing 20mm smaller, also the wheel base feels spot on, it's not just the wheel base that affects the handling of a bike, its all the other angles.