Pc Experts

Duck

Hi

I recently did a case swap on my PC.it works fine apart from it just turns off every 5 mins.i got a new PSU for it which worked for a while now does the same,it all boots up normal get to the windows installation and goes off. Anyone know whats going on?

Cheers

Phil

Hi

I recently did a case swap on my PC.it works fine apart from it just turns off every 5 mins.i got a new PSU for it which worked for a while now does the same,it all boots up normal get to the windows installation and goes off. Anyone know whats going on?

Cheers

Phil

I would say your CPU is over heating. Check the seating of the heatsink on the processer, ensuring there are no gaps.

Also check that your motherboard isn't shorting on any part of the case.

I would say your CPU is over heating. Check the seating of the heatsink on the processer, ensuring there are no gaps.

Also check that your motherboard isn't shorting on any part of the case.

i just checked it and it looks like glue has melted and run on to other parts of the motherboard

i just checked it and it looks like glue has melted and run on to other parts of the motherboard

Ouch!

Get some "Arctic Silver 5" on the CPU/heatsink contact. The glue you get with cheap OEM computers is nasty..... and does exactly what has happened if you're not too careful....

Run the computer for a bit until it's melted and then try and wipe the goo off with a tissue. But the actual goo shouldn't actually harm whatever it's on though. However, the fact that it's all over your motherboard means that it's not where it should be (Between the CPU and heatsink). So yeah, reseat the heatsink/fan with new thermal compound (Arctic Silver 5 as Phaze said).

is it worth getting some artic silver 5 for cpu ? i was looking in to it for my gfx card

Probably, yeah. I have it on both :ermm: It'll knock 1-2*C off your temps. So not much, but still better than a kick in the teeth. It's not exactly expensive.

Probably, yeah.  I have it on both :D  It'll knock 1-2*C off your temps.  So not much, but still better than a kick in the teeth.  It's not exactly expensive.

think i may have to purchase some as my card loves to run hot about 55idle and 70 load haha

think i may have to purchase some as my card loves to run hot about 55idle and 70 load  haha

That's not too much of a problem. Graphics cards have a much greater max die temperature than CPUs, so can probably go up to about 110*C ish without damage (Whereas with a CPU, it's about 85*C). So don't worry too much - you'll probably only knock a couple of degrees off anyway :D

think i need a new MB and processor

I'm sure you don't. The cheap thermal stuff that comes with PCs can get a bit burnt and not as effective. And now you've taken it off, you should really replace the thermal compound. Arctic Silver 5 will do the job. The temperature has really nothing to do with the speed of your computer.

thank god just ordered a load of new stuff and notice the motherboard max is 2700 and the ram was 3200

PcChips M848ALU SKT A SIS 748 400 DDR AGPx8 ATA133 6CH Sound/lAN/USB 2.0 will Take Upto a 3.2+ AMD Athlon XP And Sempron CPU's Retail Box.

Western Digital Caviar 80Gb 7200rpm EIDE Hard Drive - OEM.

AMD Sempron 2200+ (SDA2200DUT3D) Processor Skt A 256cache 333fsb - OEM CPU

Corsair (VS512MB400C3) 512MB, DDR400 / PC3200, non-ECC, 184 DIMM, unbuffered, CL3, 32Mx8 DRAMs, Lifetime Warranty

Sapphire Radeon 9550 256MB DDR AGP8x TV-Out DVI-I Lite Retail Box.

got all this at the moment to get my computer up and running