Graphic Card Problem

Johneh

Hi i have just bought a new graphics card and i cannot get it working.

I am currently running a integrated cruddy graphics card and have disabled it before installing my new one.

I now plug everything back together and start up and my monitor does not turn off standby, I take the card out and start up again and it starts perfectly?????

I suspect that there are other things that I need to disable? maybe wrong.

Please please help me!!!!

Thanks in advance I will forever be your slave if you can help lol. (really)

Right... I'm assuming you HAVE swapped the vga cable to the monitor over? What card is it? Does it need a separate power supply to it, and is that plugged in?

Or your card could be borked. Or you've got some stupid settings in the bios about PCI/AGP frequency, but I doubt it.

Don't know terribly much about this , but I resolved a similar situation on my P.C by installing the correct drivers , and playing around with my display settings.Sorry if this is stating the obvious.Good luck.

It's not a driver issue if it's not in windows.

To rule out a power supply problem, unplug the power supply to the CD-ROM drive(s), and additional hard disks, take all the ram out but one stick, and take out any PCI cards you don't need. If it works fine with that all that out, then it's a PSU problem. But usually that's not what happens when you don't have enough power.

you need to uninstall you rold one first, go to device manager, uninstall your old one and the one u just put in, then go to "scan for hardware changes" and let it do the automatic install thing and then follow the on screen thing, Add me to msn if you need more help, i can explain better then, perch_2000_uk@yahoo.co.uk

Edited by Ingram

Seems that people are bordering along the rough truth here, so here goes:

Obviously you have disabled your previous onboard graphics in Windows in order to set your new card as the Primary Display Adaptor. Yes?

The reason that nothing comes up is simple. There is no signal. Why? Because your graphics card is not the primary display adaptor. But why is this if you've already disabled your old on in Windows? Well, only in Windows is it set to as your display device, not in the BIOS at startup.

To sort out this minor niggle start it up WITHOUT the graphics card in, and hit [DEL] to enter the BIOS settings. Under the chipset features menu (or similar) you should be able to find an option to DISABLE the onboard graphics. Disable them and if necessary enable your AGP slot. Save/exit BIOS. Now switch off your computer, pop your new card in and restart! All is good!

:(

Where did he say he disabled it in windows?

Like I said before, as he can't see anything (even in the BIOS sequence/POST), it's nothing to do with drivers/windows.

Putting a card into the AGP slot will disable the onboard graphics and switch the AGP anyway.

It's either a power problem, the card is installed wrong, or the card is broken. Or the mobo's AGP slot is somehow knackered.