Computer Case Modding

tank_rider

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm intending to mod my pc case, and add some more fans etc, along with a bit more colour, however I want to be able to turn them off at night, and so need some sort of pushbuttons or switches to do this. Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent supplier of these sorts of things. I have already looked on the RS website and the Farnell websites but didnt see anything suitable. Im after either a blue backlit one of silver.

Cheers

Andy

Sorry to steal thread sort of but its on the subject of fans.

Is it possible to get like 5 fans put in computer, get a fan controller and say run them at 2500rpm when running normally with progs open, and then turn them down to say 1000rpm so they are virtually silent with just bitsprit open or something so it doesnt make any noise?

Is it possible to get like 5 fans put in computer, get a fan controller and say run them at 2500rpm when running normally with progs open, and then turn them down to say 1000rpm so they are virtually silent with just bitsprit open or something so it doesnt make any noise?

You can get somesort of expantion thingy ma-jig to put on the front of your computer which allows you to turn particular fans, controll the temprature and change the RPM my friend has one and it has a little alarm when it gets to hot.

Don't really see the point in case modding, mines fine with set of thermal processor paste every 4 months.

Anyway a good website for case modding isss http://www.overclockers.co.uk.

Unless you have some urge to make it yourself, just get a fanbus. Ebuyer do them really cheap (I've seen them for as little as £5). And yeah, that'll allow you to turn the fans down when you're not using them. Alternatively, you can undervolt them (Attach the fan to a +12v line and a +5v line (in place of the earth), giving a p.d. of 7v. However, most fans refuse to spin at much less than 7v, so you can't completely control everything.

A note on fan noise

My pc was running a tad on the noisy side, so i just took the side off and cleaned all the fans with a soft paint brush, it is now running about half the noise :P

Also vibration is a massive cause of noise within pc's, so get a bit of old inner tube, cut it open, and make a gromit to fit between your case and the fan itself to help prevent vibrations and the resultant noise.

Oh and by the way, ive found the switches i wanted, but they are a tad expensive at £15 each so im going to stick with a pair of lit rocker swtiches for now, then get the flash ones in the summer. I have ordered all the other bits so in a few days you should be seeing a pimped up PC on here :P

Oh in case anyone is interested the switches i was looking for were HERE

Andy, I forgot to say....if you go with those blue Bulgin switches, its probably cheaper to buy them direct from RS supplies. The postage from KustomPC's is quite high (about £5 I think)

dont worry i bought a load of stuff anyway so the postage was spread quite a long way. And it was only £3.38 if the total was under £50 (Y)

Hey Guys and Gals,

I'm intending to mod my pc case, and add some more fans etc, along with a bit more colour, however I want to be able to turn them off at night, and so need some sort of pushbuttons or switches to do this.  Can anyone point me in the direction of a decent supplier of these sorts of things.  I have already looked on the RS website and the Farnell websites but didnt see anything suitable.  Im after either a blue backlit one of silver.

Cheers

Andy

The fanmaster i have wont turn the fans off, but it will slow them down.

and in reply to....

yes it is, coolermaster do some cool products. But my master only does 4fans max.

Ash

Edited by Onza-Ash

http://www.kustompcs.co.uk/acatalog/info_2902.html

That's what you want.

I have one in my case. You can put as many fans on each channel as you like, as long as the total power does not exceeding 17W. Considering the average fan consumes less than 2W, that means a lot of fans. (8 on each channel, 4 channels, meaning 32 fans!)

You have to cut a few holes in an empty 5 1/4 drive bay, but that's no problem. They provide a drilling template, so its easy enough to do.

Plus, its only £10...you can't really complain for that! (Y)

Well all my bits turned up, so i spent most of today fitting them, pics below :P

Overall view in the dark

gallery_35_661_722.jpg

Side View in the dark

gallery_35_661_36154.jpg

Overall view in the Light, not to hot looking :blink: as afterall its a shit case.

gallery_35_661_137764.jpg

Overall im satisfied, and core cpu temps have dropped 10 drgrees due to decent air circulation, so all is well.

Well all my bits turned up, so i spent most of today fitting them, pics below :P

Overall view in the dark

gallery_35_661_722.jpg

Side View in the dark

gallery_35_661_36154.jpg

Overall view in the Light, not to hot looking :blink: as afterall its a shit case.

gallery_35_661_137764.jpg

Overall im satisfied, and core cpu temps have dropped 10 drgrees due to decent air circulation, so all is well.

If you want to make your case even nicer... here are a few tips:

1. Stealth the DVD/CD/Whatever-ROM - Google for Tutorials.

2. Maybe cut a 120mm blowhole in the top panel of the case? Put a low-noise 2500rpm fan in there, followed by a nice grill to finish it off. All the hot air inside will nicely lift out the top.... and drop case temps noticably....

3. Possibly put some nice handles on the top? Makes it easier to move it around when needs be. Cheap metal ones from B&Q will be perfect....

4. Think about water-cooling.....lol..... I've got a kit for sale - MSN/Email me :P

1. I've seen the stuff about stealthing drives but im not a great fan.

2. Both the rear fans are blowing air out of the case, and i have a pair of fans mounted on a pci card to mix the air virtically, although i like the idea of a roof mounted fan to let the hot air at the top of the case escape.

3. Now your just being sarcastic :blink:

and for 4 too :)

i have mainly got the stuff as i am planning on getting a better case to mod over the summer, see my description over the third pic :P

You want modding? I can give you modding (Y)

This is just a teaser of things to come:

top_panelside_panel_final.jpg

Better than that premodded tripe  :blink:

I can't wait till you get that beast finished george, its going to look immense.

I guess i should start doing some research for the summer really.

i have a modded interior but i don't have a window case so you can't see it, LOL.

if i could be bothred i would buy one of those completely clear cases, i recon they look groovey :blink:

BTW, the dude with the white CD/DVD drive, get a can of silver paint and take the front panel off (it just unclips), then sand it and spray it up.

I did the same with a beige drive and made it matt black and now its matches perfectly (Y)

i have a modded interior but i don't have a window case so you can't see it, LOL.

if i could be bothred i would buy one of those completely clear cases, i recon they look groovey  :blink:

BTW, the dude with the white CD/DVD drive, get a can of silver paint and take the front panel off (it just unclips), then sand it and spray it up.

I did the same with a beige drive and made it matt black and now its matches perfectly  (Y)

sounds like a nice idea, im planning on having it covered though in my "summer mod"

I don't care how much I have to work my ass off... I want one of these cases...

Bring on the VapoChill cases.......

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/Vap...ll_Systems.html

The lure of a 4Ghz+ CPU is too tempting....

The ultimate in overclocking tool really, what sort of temp do they generate at the surface, with no loads attached i.e no cpu running? I've read that people have had P4's up to 4.4GHz and still had temps below 0 :blink:

Just out of intrest what do you do with your amazing watercooled computer?