Wheel Replacing

Nick Dale

Hey im having diffuculty doing wheel replacment's on anything higher then about 20" i ride mod and find it difficult to get to my back wheel trying this move.

All i want to know really is what is the technequie (sp?) of this move as when i do it i have to kick on the pedal's i can't just jump and chuck the bike up (Y)

How do i go about replacing wheel's without the kick? More importantly, how do i do it on somthing higer then my wheel's :-

Thank's for any help (Y)

Nick.

Don't use your rear brake when doing it (Y) Without it, you can really flex your forks and it gives you alot of spring to jump up. I think doing the move successfully is all about confidence to be honest. It's a wierd feeling at first, being really steep and having no rear brake locked. Try starting off at about 26". Then turn your bike slightly, so it begins to get more parallel to the wall, with your rear foot nearest the wall, so you have more room. Then it's a case of really leaning down over the bars, and bursting upwards. By the way, focus on going upwards, not forwards onto the wall, this'll come naturally. Yeah, so when you've burst, explode with your arms as you'd do for a normal backwheel and you'll be sorted.

I know it seems odd, but practising on a thin wall has its advantages. You can really pinch the front wheel, which adds to the spring the bike naturally gives you :-

It's all about practise (Y)

I've never used the no-back-brake thing. It really puts me off, every time I try it, I end up ramming the back wheel into the wall. So I wouldn't worry about it too much if you can't get the hang of it. Might get your an extra inch or so. But he's right about the thin wall thing. I can go about 3" higher onto a rail than onto just a normal wall. As well as the pinch, I think it's something to do with how you can roll your front wheel over the rail a bit, so it's actually lower, and you're not as steep :-

'cos the front wheel doesn't touch the floor after you lift it, so it doesn't matter?

But I thought when you were on your front wheel, you release the front brake and then lift the front wheel, so it rolls forwards, then up? Or is that wrong, and the reason why I cant get it right?

You need something to pull against/jump off.

The rear wheel helps, but you cant use *just* the rear wheel, or it'd be one massive 'boon'.

Keep the front brake on throughout (this is for a static move btw), and use the forks/front tyre, as people have said, to help out.

Do what all they said up there, and something that might help with the lunge is getting your head over the front axel, then you can kinda 'flick' up more.

Also, try to get as close to the wall as possible, but with enough space so your foot doesn't hit it on your way up :P

i dont do anything with my brakes, all a bit over complicated, i simply try to ram the frame as high up your arse as you can then push the bike forward. dont bother thinking about going forward till your right up. just aim up and proper yank it. i also find doing it at an angle helps.

1. place your front wheel on the obstacle :P"

2. be diagonal to it, with your weak foot close into the obstacle

3. stand tall, towards your bars

4. hop, or do something to gain your balance WITHOUT the rear brake on...

5. crouch down towards the back of your strong foot.

6. jump up and tuck your back end up, while extending your arms at the same time.

I find it easier to do it without a back brake on, and without a pedal kick.

Also, you may find it easier to do this with your front wheel on the back edge off the obstacle, so you can have some more tyre spring to help.

also a low and long front end will help you to master the manoever :(