Front Brake Control

Mr Motivator

After going on big rides and watching many videos I've noticed that there are a few riders around that ride without locking thier front brake when not using it, for example when doing gaps or ups where the front brake is not necesary. Personaly I think it looks quite cool having your front whell spinning when your on the back wheel.

I've been trying this recently and it's kinda wierd as I have an extra finger that I dont know what to do with, but I can seem to be able to wheelie hop gap and up a little higher than before. Giro effect? :D"

So do you do this? Only thing with it is that you either have to have no finger on the lever at all or one finger but not pulling it which is kinda hard as you could loose grip on the bar.

Sam :S

There's no gyro effect. It's too little to notice, and wouldn't help much anyway.

I always try to let my wheels spin if they are in the air.

I most oftenly keep the finger on the lever, but sometimes it's not necessary, so I do the 'dead grip' on my front brake hand.

It really helps if you learn it and use it in comps. Saves loads of arm pump!

I dont think its an advantage, becauseof the way I learnt to ride, (crap V's two finger braking and all) I dont cover the front brake when backwheeling or bunnyhopping, but becasue by the time I learnt to pedal hop I was using 1 finger braking i could cover both brakes.

I use 1 finger now on rear brake, but still dont cover front brake when backwheeling or bunny hopping. It can be annoying, especially when I want to bunny up a wall then do a gap to front wheel from the wall, I have learnt to cover and un-cover front brake while hopping around etc, so much I do it without thinking about it, but its still not he best thing to be doing.

I dont think the gyroscopic effect will make much difference at all really.

I've learnt to ride with my finger ON the front brake OR with my finger OFF the front brake.

Can ride jsut as well either way now, i like spinny front wheel - but sometimes you need to cover the front brake (certain moves etc)

ALSO

What i really like is when you do a gap but odnt pull the back brake till the last second, so you hear the whirrr while your in the air & the backwheel spins - very cool IMO

:S

its actaully useful too! like when tapping it forces you not the touch the front brake and sidehopping too, if there is high(for me) sidehop to something fairly wide, i will do it to front wheel wih no front brake and because of this, when my front wheel touches it rolls out and makes me flick my back end up and thus onto the wall!! kina wierd but works for me! plus with a full gripping hand i can sometimes give thing that little more yank on the bars

mike

What i really like is when you do a gap but odnt pull the back brake till the last second, so you hear the whirrr while your in the air & the backwheel spins - very cool IMO

Yeah! 7ft wheelie gap with a spinny wheel :D

Try pull the brake just as your tyre touches the ledge.. but if you do it too late or not at all... :S