New Saracen

Whiteboy

just wondering if anyone can commet/reveiw the new saracen mads? wats the geo like? cs lengths bb height etc. how they compare to other frames? they worth the money? is there any diifrence beetween the top frame and bottom speced frame? or are they just diffrent mounts on them?

rthanks

A mate of mine has has the lowest spec'ed MAD since just after xmas. I am very impressed with the the bike as a whole for the price, coming with ISIS cranks and BB, "proper" flat trials bar (oversize). It is the perfect bike for starting out on, but the frame itself would also suit an experienced rider (my mate has made several upgrades already, and it's proving to be quite a bike!).

The frame... I can't give exact figures, but it seems to have around a 1065 wheelbase with the standard forks (measured alongside my bike with 1055 wheelbase). I will get a measurement tomorrow if someone else doesn't know. Chainstays, again I can't be exact, but they are plenty short, keeping in trend with most modern frames.

It has taken some hard knocks so far, and seems quite dent resistant. The finish is of a good quality (bottom range bike has the red frame - looks completely different in real life than in the pics - really deep metallic finish).

Only downside I would mention is the seatstays - they are quite flexy, but then I am comparing this to my Koxx with a modified 4 Bolt XTR booster. I should think with a decent booster (XTR, Echo Control) it should be fine.

Overall the bike as whole rides very well - it is as easy on the back wheel as my Koxx, feels nice and responsive, but not quite as stiff. For the price of a full bike, you really can't go wrong - but on the other hand, if you are spending a little more and going for the middle or top spec - it may be worth looking at the Onza range also, as they are pretty hard to beat.

The bottom model is the same frame as the other two, except it has V mounts rather than 4 bolt.

As for the frame... I'm not sure if it's available on its own yet, but I'm sure if they are released they SHOULD be mighty cheap. If people can look beyond the brand and previous models, they will see that this is a well designed frame, and a complete change of direction for Saracen/MAD. Gets the thumbs up from me :wink2:

If you need any more info, let me know :-

Edited by UrbanLegend

cheers. when you say "flexy" in what are is the frame flexy?

Mainly the seatstays, you can feel it through the brake lever obviously. Although as I said, this could be remedied with a good booster.

Compared to my Koxx, it doesn't feel as "tight" and positive... I can't really explain this, it's just something you tend to notice when you've been riding too long like me lol :wink2:

This is not a terribly bad thing, I'm probably being overly-critical. I just prefer a nice stiff Koxx (that's getting way old now isn't it :- ).

I have had a decent go on Matt Barlows new one! He as his set up pretty streety, with 80-90mm and Azonic risers! I was very impressed by it! I Felt good on the back wheel, it seemed nice to go to the front wheel too!

It was nice for maunals and bunnyhops, with matts setup! With a trials bar and stem I reckon it would make a great little frame and for the price (the red one should be cheap) it would seem like a bargain! I would liken it more like the base, a budget frame that can be made into a decent streety trials or trialsy trials, depending on set up!

there are some pics on matts website, slow progress

mike

Edited by leedstrials

so do you think it would be a upgrade over a monty urban?

thanks

No..

You're monty is much stronger. The mad is just a saracen with a different geo, but the point is its a saracen.. saracens are certainly not some of the strongest bikes around.

I gather youre wanting to upgrade from your monty but still keep it cheap? If you are and you want something that is cheap but rides very nice, perhaps look into the base ta26 a little more again as I know you were a while back. Although strength could again reflect in price.. but bases are stronger than sacarens.

If you are wanting something longer then you are probably going to have to pay a little more..

I understand that there are many very nice looking and very nice riding frames about right now, and some of them are a little pricey.

Best bet is to keep the monty a little longer and perhaps save up some more money a little longer and you could buy something that will ride soo nice and also be very strong and stiff.

The monty certainly can't be limiting you.. I have seen some amazing riding on an urban so trust me, it's not making you a bad rider.

Sam :-

No..

You're monty is much stronger. The mad is just a saracen with a different geo, but the point is its a saracen.. saracens are certainly not some of the strongest bikes around.

I gather youre wanting to upgrade from your monty but still keep it cheap? If you are and you want something that is cheap but rides very nice, perhaps look into the base ta26 a little more again as I know you were a while back. Although strength could again reflect in price.. but bases are stronger than sacarens.

If you are wanting something longer then you are probably going to have to pay a little more..

I understand that there are many very nice looking and very nice riding frames about right now, and some of them are a little pricey.

Best bet is to keep the monty a little longer and perhaps save up some more money a little longer and you could buy something that will ride soo nice and also be very strong and stiff.

The monty certainly can't be limiting you.. I have seen some amazing riding on an urban so trust me, it's not making you a bad rider.

Sam :-

So I take it you have ridden the new MAD? And have broken one I assume??

You can't say "it will break easily because it's a Saracen", that is rubbish. The new version hasn't been out long enough for ANYONE to gauge their strength. However, the old MAD's seemed to last very well, as do their jump frames.

Some people are so image concious and dismiss things straight away just because of the brand. I ride a Levelboss and have had countless other high-end frames, and I would happily ride the new MAD if someone gave me one, or I wanted a cheap replacement frame.

You changed your mind quickly  :-

Not sure if the frames are available on their own. Might be worth calling MAD to find out.

Propably realised he rides a Planet-X, you know that copany that charges the same as everyone else making them really good strong frames... :-

The frame... I can't give exact figures, but it seems to have around a 1065 wheelbase with the standard forks (measured alongside my bike with 1055 wheelbase). I will get a measurement tomorrow if someone else doesn't know. Chainstays, again I can't be exact, but they are plenty short, keeping in trend with most modern frames.

you are still talking about saracen right ;)

looks like there moving up in the trials world :)