Saracen Mad Setups.

rich4130

A mate of mine has a MAD, in short its a pig.

What setups did you guys run who have/had them?

His is:

Mad Frame (older not new nice ones :-)

Pig.

Kona P2's

Short (70maybe) stem Ok actually.

Some random bars, risers.

521 on Deore.

Very Beefy WTB 2.4" tyres F&R

Koxx Rim/XC rear wheel, DH Tube.

Hope Rear Disk :closedeyes: Mono M4 i think!

Front V, SD5 setup.

Burns, V8's, Deore cassette/mech/shifter.

I'll get a pic up.

What would you put on it?

cheers

rich.

Get some light forks- echo urbans or ashtons?

Nice bar and stem

Could loose some weight from the rear brake by getting a rim brake/magura?

V8s are fairly heavy- perhaps get some cheap onza/planet x/ VP caged pedals, they save a bit of weight

OOh and a light front tyre! panaracer XC pro 2.1?

Edited by SQuiT-man

His disc should be ok, my mate has a Hope M4 on his Orange Zero frame and he has not problems with it locks like a reet t*t, better then our brakes. Am surprised he can fit a Koxx rim because my mate had a White Tiger 2.5 and it won't fit in his Mad with a D521 on the back or is it the new frames?

ok spec changes that arent too expensive and will totally transform the bike-well i think they will :D

Pig-fine

Kona P2's-too heavy if i remember right, swap for pashleys if he want to stick with a v or get identity tuning forks if he wants to run a disc in the future

Short (70maybe) stem Ok actually-swap for something that is around the 100mm mark with a little rise-still short enuff for street but long enuf to make backwheeling more comfy

Some random bars, risers. get some nice wide bars-the wrong shape will make any bike feel a bit crap-azonic dw bars and easton ea70s have a good shape if he wants risers(im presuming by his setup he does alot of street?) otherwise give some flatties a go :)

521 on Deore this is ok maybe a lighter/better quality hub in the future, rim isnt all that heavy

Very Beefy WTB 2.4" tyres F&Rswap for some maxxis tyres, you dont need such a huge tyre upfront!!

Koxx Rim/XC rear wheel, DH Tube dump the dh tube!!! with maxxis tyres you wont need it, the rest of the wheel is fine

Hope Rear Disk (Y) Mono M4 i think! this is fine if he likes it-personal preference

Front V, SD5 setup. fine

Burns, V8's, Deore cassette/mech/shifter. burns good :P , v8s are usually fine, may wanna dump the deore stuff and go singlespeed or if he hasnt alreay, get a road bike cassette if he wants to keep gears

sorted :D i think the prioritys are taking out the dh tube, lighter front tyre, and some nicer bars!!!

hope thats helped

Your right mate (Y)

He's put a lighter front tyre on, should be buying some pashley, I'll try my bar and stem on it, see what difference it makes (singlewalls/105 X 10stem)

Yea, Maxxis tyres look well nice, I just got a 24" 2.5 highroller, look swish :). I'l get him to ditch the DH toob!

Converted it to SS yesterday, took mech/shifter/cassette/cables off, he needs a new chain, and a simple tensioner to up tension it.

Might try and get him to swap his wheel for a 521 and run a rim brake.

Your right mate (Y)

He's put a lighter front tyre on, should be buying some pashley, I'll try my bar and stem on it, see what difference it makes (singlewalls/105 X 10stem)

Yea, Maxxis tyres look well nice, I just got a 24" 2.5 highroller, look swish :). I'l get him to ditch the DH toob!

Converted it to SS yesterday, took mech/shifter/cassette/cables off, he needs a new chain, and a simple tensioner to up tension it.

Might try and get him to swap his wheel for a 521 and run a rim brake.

cool cool, glad to help

i have a surly singulator for sale-brand new and some dw bars if he is interested? pm me :P