V Brake V

Whiteboy

ok well which is it? what is the pros and cons of each? which will hold beeter? witch more comfortable to the fingers etc? which has most power. as the new heatsink vee pads have come out im thinking of changing to a vee. now what would be a good set up? do the calipers make alot of diffrence? how would a deore calipers with a avid sd5 le ver with just a standard shimano cable and heatsinks work lijke? would there be as good as hold as a magura?

thanks

tom

Stick to the magura.

You'll thank me later.

Calipers make a lot of difference. Cable makes a huge diff. aswell.

XT or XTR Calipers, Odyssey Linear Slic cable, Heatsink/Plaz pads is nice, but more maintenance than a Magura.

Also, woudn't you have to adapter the vee onto the frame of yours? Or have you switched the Monty for something else?

It's not worth bodging adapters.

I made some proper adapters last summer. Work on some frames, not so well on others.

Just stick to the Magura. Bodging vee brakes is hard to get it good, I'm on my 4th or 5th design, and still not very happy with the results and performance.

Can you make no decisions for yourself? :- First a katrillion frame topics, now a brake topic? :o

Anyhoo, I'd stick with my Magura. No hassle, great rewards. My V-brakes always seemed to need tweaking. There are certain benefits to V-brakes, such as the way you don't have to deflate your tyre to remove it, etc., but the power and feel of Maguras beats any V-brake for me; especially with the issue of nearly every frame out now being a 4-bolt Magura mounted frame...

With V's, you get what you pay for. Cheap, crappy calipers and a cheap, crappy lever, tied together with cheap, crappy cable will be a cheap, crappy brake whatever happens. Avid really do it for me where V-brakes are concerned; SD7 arms are £17.99, and the lever wouldn't be much more, so I'd go for SD7 bits all round. The FlakJacket cables worked super nicely when I had them, but I think I'd probably go for the Slic-Cable now, made by Odyssey.