9 Speed Crankset And 7 Speed Cassette

delusional

I know this isn't strictly a trials question, but it is general push bike tech. If it really hurts you to answer a non-trials specific question you can always pretend for a minute I'm running a 21 speed trials bike :)

Title should be fairly descriptive, but I've just bought a Deore crankset for my mtb that is apparantly 9 speed specific and I'm still running a 7 speed rear cassette.

I definitely need a new chain, however what I'm not sure on is what chain would be best to get. Is a 9 speed chain going to run smoother on a 7 speed cassette, or is an 7/8 speed chain going to run smoother on a 9 speed crankset?

Obviously the ideal solution would be to upgrade to a 9 speed cassette, but I'd rather avoid that if possible as it'd mean extra expense on new shifters (I've only just bought a new set of 7 speed shifters) and it's not like I really feel the need for more than 21 gears at the moment.

I definitely need a new chain, however what I'm not sure on is what chain would be best to get. Is a 9 speed chain going to run smoother on a 7 speed cassette, or is an 7/8 speed chain going to run smoother on a 9 speed crankset?

7/8 speed - a 9 speed chain is too thin :lol:

Well, thats a lie really, haha, it'll work... just... maybe.

7/8 speed is your best bet basically, and will be cheaper too.

The 7/8 speed chain will work fine with your chainset as well :lol:

7/8 speed - a 9 speed chain is too thin :lol:

Well, thats a lie really, haha, it'll work... just... maybe.

7/8 speed is your best bet basically, and will be cheaper too.

The 7/8 speed chain will work fine with your chainset as well :lol:

Why wouldn't a 9 speed chain run on a 7 Speed Rear cassette then?

I've seen them bind before, may have just been a case of old worn cassette though. Fitted a PC48 and it was fine. Either way, 7/8 speed chain is the best bet here... unless you've got something remarkable we need to know, hehe?

I've seen them bind before, may have just been a case of old worn cassette though. Fitted a PC48 and it was fine. Either way, 7/8 speed chain is the best bet here... unless you've got something remarkable we need to know, hehe?

Really?

In this case i agree that a 7/8speed chain would be better but there shouln't be any reason that they should be incompatible i mean the only difference is a 9speed chain is thinner?

In this case i agree that a 7/8speed chain would be better but there shouln't be any reason that they should be incompatible i mean the only difference is a 9speed chain is thinner?

Exactly my thoughts.

The occasion i mention above, the cassette did look relatively worn, to the point where the teeth had burred and effectively become wider. It was the same sort of 'sticking' you get with a Shimano DX sprocket and a 9 speed chain.

Exactly my thoughts.

The occasion i mention above, the cassette did look relatively worn, to the point where the teeth had burred and effectively become wider. It was the same sort of 'sticking' you get with a Shimano DX sprocket and a 9 speed chain.

Ah ha.