Autocad

andyroo

Hey hey, im starting to get the hang of materials and textures in autocad, and was just wondering if anyone knew how to make the materials seem more realistic. I know you can use 3d studio max for the rendering, but i cant use that at work cos our copy isnt strictly legal, so does anyone have any tips on autocad rendering?

heres my piccy, dedicated to Tarty, because of his fondness towards this particular item :lol:

gallery_3959_647_8862.jpg

i would call it, piste de tarty

I'll try and find my effort in a bit :lol:

And thanks Andy, hehe.

As for rendering tips... im not very good myself, just takes time I guess... need someone more experienced for some proper help! I tend to use different lighting to cast shadows etc...

have you got an isometric view of this or is it a 2d product?

other than that its a decent attempt, i couldnt do any better, but i am slowly improving, we will see how it turns out!!!

well done anyhow

i would call it, piste de tarty

ben

its a 3d drawing, ive got the hang of actually drawing stuff, but rendering it in a way that doesnt look too fake is proving difficult :lol: so i need some tips

For starters, 3ds max is far superior than AutoCAD for rendering (I used to use it for rendering my CAD work) so don't expect similar results. Rendering in most applications is basically the same, apply material, lights, background etc... For more realism you need to look closely at the materials being applied. For most engineering programs (the likes of AutoCAD and ever higher end programs such as Unigraphics, Catia etc) these materials are pretty basic and look very 2D, whereas in CG programs (like 3ds max, Maya, Studiotools, Xsi) materials are far more complex, comprising of different layers (maps) which define things like reflection colour, texture etc. These maps can be easily changed and adjusted for better effects, though on CAD programs that isn't usually the case due to the simple nature of the materials.

Have a look at the way you can apply and edit materials in AutoCAD and see if there are options for using/changing the "bump-map" of a material. The "bump-map" turns a material into 3D by making it appear to have raised areas this is good for adding texture. It does not add any geometry to the part however.

There are numerous other maps within a material (as you have no doubt seen with 3ds), so if AutoCAD has that feature its the way forward.

I hope I've given you something to go on.

Btw, let me know how it goes, that model is looking pretty good already from where I'm sitting :lol:

Screen dumps... (PC is too gay/slow for me to be arsed with rendering).

Plus if you are using NX2.0, the license is also gay as it won't allow for rendering (amongst other things).

Tis ok for me as I now have the latest copy of it which has a better license.

Besides, I kinda like the way CAD programs do poor renders :lol:

Can't really see the effect on such a small pic, but you can tell it's not just a solid colour. Looking better, though I'd suggest loosing the background for something simpler as my eye is constantly drawn to it.

Oh, and the latest copy I have is 2005 :turned:

hmm does anyone know where i can get the new edition of auto cad just started learning to use it in graphics and its all a bit 2d and easy so i wanna have a piss about with some harder stuff

oh also i remember when i first joined the forum there was a topic about a autocad chris king with moving parts?

Edited by Spacemunkee

I would have said the other way round, the realism of the background makes it blaringly obvious the rest is modelled.

hmm does anyone know where i can get the new edition of auto cad just started learning to use it in graphics and its all a bit 2d and easy so i wanna have a piss about with some harder stuff

I can supply you a copy, plus any other CAD programs you may need :turned:

I would have said the other way round, the realism of the background makes it blaringly obvious the rest is modelled.

I can supply you a copy, plus any other CAD programs you may need (Y)

You will find upon closer inspection that the background is cg too! ;)

Whether it is or not, it still makes the frame look more like a render. Also using something with a lot of vivid colour makes the frame look separate to the back ground in that it isn't relecting similar colours.

For example, if it's supposed to look like the frame is outdoors, then surely there would be a bluish relection on the frame coming from the colour of the sky?

I know you are just messing about with things at this stage, so don't want to sound like I'm ripping into it (Y)

I've also attacted some of the rendering I've done to give you a better idea of what I'm blabbering on about.

Whether it is or not, it still makes the frame look more like a render.  Also using something with a lot of vivid colour makes the frame look separate to the back ground in that it isn't relecting similar colours.

For example, if it's supposed to look like the frame is outdoors, then surely there would be a bluish relection on the frame coming from the colour of the sky? 

I know you are just messing about with things at this stage, so don't want to sound like I'm ripping into it (Y)

I've also attacted some of the rendering I've done to give you a better idea of what I'm blabbering on about.

Was the rendering for those done in autocad? if so, can you send me the second drawing? (with the appropriate .bmp files if you used them)

ta

That material is looking pretty good.

Easier to see the brushed effect now (Y)

EDIT.

The first was done in Unigraphics and the second with Solidworks. I've not used AutoCAD in a long time, and never did much rendeing with it (if I did it was generally exported to 3ds). The materials there were the ones that came with each package, but with a few tweaks to get them looking how I wanted.

Have a look on 3d Cafe to see if there are any good tutorials for rendering with AutoCAD, might give you some better ideas ;)