Shoes That Aren't Trainers

Tomm

So, do they exist? I'm bored of wearing trainers all the time, they make my feet stinky. But smart shoes look stupid with jeans... Any ideas? If I was a scally, it'd be simple: Buy some Rockports. But I ain't down wit' that (homie). So yeah, what is a guy to do?

I used to have a pair of buffaloes that I wore all the time that probably fit that bill. Although mine had 2" soles on them, so you'd have to be comfortable being a bit taller than you are (it took me ages to get used to not being 6' after they fell to bits). Actually I'm pretty sure they make flat soled shoes as well. There are definitely quite a lot of companies that make casual shoes (swear are another company in a similar vein to buffalo, quite a specific style again though).

An easier and cheaper option could be a pair of boots, like Dr Martins or similar. Or high street fashion stores often have several different kinds of casual shoes.

Next have some stylish offerings - funky trainer looking shoes which are obviously for fashion wear rather than sport.

The only problem is they're over priced and the shoes were very narrow so I couldn't even get them on!

I'd have a skim around the supermarket clothes departments. Next buys their stuff from the same far eastern sweat shops but marks it up alot more. I bought some once for £15 but they were unwearable because the bridge part of the sole (between the front and back) was too flexible so it didn't support my foot properly when walking. Be sure to check this!

I don't mind buying clothes from supermarkets or Matalan, since most of it doesn't have any distinguishing logos on it for logo snobs.

converse? pretty casual but not traineresque

I have some converse actually... But they are definitely trainers in my book, but I know what you mean - they aren't so sweaty as most. But they instantly turn you into an indie kid, which is not always a good thing :turned:

Cant go wrong with a pair of adidas superstars or the like with jeans. If they are clean, they look smart and are also relatively comfortable. Also the trainers that have 3 velcro strips such as lacoste ( :turned: ) or the adidas stan smith ones. Overpriced though

Cant go wrong with a pair of adidas superstars or the like with jeans. If they are clean, they look smart and are also relatively comfortable. Also the trainers that have 3 velcro strips such as lacoste ( :turned: ) or the adidas stan smith ones. Overpriced though

They're still trainers though...

I do love Adidas Superstars though, so comfortable. I fancy some in black, they look nice :-

I had the same problem. Most trainers look like garbage, and proper "dress shoes" just look stupid, so I just picked up some of these. They are made by Energie I think. Prada makes some cool shoes too, but I looked at the price and went :turned:. I hate cloths shopping.

energie_jmad-shoes_schwarz-grau_black-grey.jpg

http://www.royalelastics.com/

I had a rather natty pair of shoes by these guys a few years ago. Really unique looking and so comfortable - used to wear them riding which killed them, but without any laces they were perfect. Grippy soles too, better than my skater shoes. Places like shuh used to do them.

200107050209.jpg

I had two successive pairs, with the most recent being the dark blue ones shown above. Their new shoes don't look as good though.

Caution: Listen to my fashion advice at the risk of alienation from your friends!

Haha (Y)

Cheers for all the help. I went shopping today. It seems that a lot of brands have either 1) Seen this thread and made shoes that fit the bill, or 2) they thought it was a good idea ages ago. Either way, if you look, there's quite a lot of shoes that fit the description. In the end I bought some Gola ones from Topshop. Not sure I like them (I'm not really a topshop kinda guy...), but they are nice and thin, so hopefully will be breatheable.

Just for the record, Merrell (Hiking brand) do some nice looking shoes that also would have done very nicely for me, but they were a bit more expensive. Cheers for all the help :unsure: