Brake Problems

bigman_lil_bike

Right got my bike finally ready to ride after it being in bits and poo weather! but now my brake keeps slippin!!! (Y)

there is a black grease type subtance that appears on the rim and my monty xhydra pads go black (Y)

Ive cleaned the rim tried hot soapy water and have used white sprit and then scraped the outer layer of my pads but still no luck.

My hs33 isnt leaking!

so im stuck for ideas where it can be coming from!

o and i dnt run a grind!

Jp

Are you riding in the wet or the dry now? It's not something simple like the brake crap you get from when you ride in the wet? Are the pads fully contaminated themselves with fluid, deeper than just the surface layer or anything?

Are you riding in the wet or the dry now?  It's not something simple like the brake crap you get from when you ride in the wet?  Are the pads fully contaminated themselves with fluid, deeper than just the surface layer or anything?

Dry weather now not really can see how fluid would soak into these pads they are just like plastic (Y)"

ace once they work! this is the only time ive had trouble with them

Jp

I know what you mean - I'm thinking of going back to them now...

Anyhoo, pads can just simply become properly contaminated by oil, and I know the Hydras are basically orange plastic, but still (Y)

Have you GT-85'd the pistons at all, or tried the "Squeeze the lever and lube the outside edge of the piston bit" trick?

I know what you mean - I'm thinking of going back to them now...

Anyhoo, pads can just simply become properly contaminated by oil, and I know the Hydras are basically orange plastic, but still (Y)

Have you GT-85'd the pistons at all, or tried the "Squeeze the lever and lube the outside edge of the piston bit" trick?

no not tried that lol what trick would that be (Y)"

Soapy water is ok and white spirit leaves a crappy residue on the rim. If you really want the rim cleaned. Use Cif.

A mate uses this on his smooth rim and the bite he gets from it is amazing when its cleaned. Usually lasts a full ride before it needs cleaned (as it would with any cleaning substance)

He uses ZOO pads and I swear I have NEVER felt a brake bite like that. Even from people who load thier rims with tar.

SO try it out. Go steal some cream cleaner (Y)

Soapy water is ok and white spirit leaves a crappy residue on the rim. If you really want the rim cleaned. Use Cif.

A mate uses this on his smooth rim and the bite he gets from it is amazing when its cleaned. Usually lasts a full ride before it needs cleaned (as it would with any cleaning substance)

He uses ZOO pads and I swear I have NEVER felt a brake bite like that. Even from people who load thier rims with tar.

SO try it out. Go steal some cream cleaner  (Y)

will do il gve it a go! cheers! cant get any worse (Y)

Maybe your pads are truely contaminated. They may seem like lumps of plastic but it can happen.

I've heard of people steeping them in de greaser and the likes. Think i've even heard of vinegar being used...

I noticed my pads went black (montys) on smooth rim. Wasnt just on the surface but about half a mm into the material..

I have the exact problem when my rims smooth, i clean the pads, rim, wheel, behind the pads, around the calipers and frame and the brake rides mint but as soon as it gets damp tar seems to appear out of nowhere and my brakes crap again (Y) (Y)

Im grinding my rim soon anyway

That black stuff isn't tar, its your rim. Your smooth rim still wears away. When dry you won't really notice any of that but as soon as a bit of moisture appears it will go black and shitty.

Its like if your sanding alu lightly with dry sandpaper it just go's away and you get dust but if you use wet and dry when wet you get a black crappy alu/water mixture.

So your saying the black stuff is aluminium and water? I dont see how this could be because all i do is a few seconds flatland in my garden to see if it works after ive cleaned it so i wouldnt have thought my rim would have worn at all in that time (Y)

1.spray muck off on your rim ride your bike round with the brake on,

2.wipe off resulting mess,

3.reapeat until tissue is clean ( :D (Y) )

4.errr then spray a little in one place on the rim and ride round with the brake on, 5.let everything dry and your brake should be immense.

This works really well with plazmatic!!

note: in part 4. replace muck off with water if you are using rim jams, as this works better on the blues that i use and muck off killed james' red pads.

So your saying the black stuff is aluminium and water? I dont see how this could be because all i do is a few seconds flatland in my garden to see if it works after ive cleaned it so i wouldnt have thought my rim would have worn at all in that time (Y)

this is what i have problem with! clean everything and 2 min later its bad braking then just gets worse and worse!

Jp

this is what i have problem with! clean everything and 2 min later its bad braking then just gets worse and worse!

Jp

Just a thought but do you have a lot of lube on your chain?

To be honest clean everything twice!!!! Get new pads, reset up your brake, check for any leaking, seepage, rubbing, damage, then see what happens, i'd be surprised if you still have a problem

Just a thought but do you have a lot of lube on your chain?

To be honest clean everything twice!!!! Get new pads, reset up your brake, check for any leaking, seepage, rubbing, damage, then see what happens, i'd be surprised if you still have a problem

clean it twice today and like 4 times yesterday! still having problems everything is fine only thin i not tried is new pads but im ment to be riding in bout and hour!!!

and its got really bad!

Jp