Rim Width And Pinches

cookie456_the2nd

With a wide rim, like my koxx i used to get pinches quite easily, and my mate who had a d521 never used to get pinches, even on some of the heavier landings.

Has anyone noticed a kind of pattern like the wider the rim, the easier it is to pinch? or vica versa?

Also, does anyone know how wide D521s are?

Edited by cookie456_the2nd

I now have a tryall rim, i used to have one of those bog standard rims that came with cheapo bikes. I can't realy comment on pinches, as i rode with different tyres and i run my wheels with alot of pressure in them anyway.

But in theroy, a wider rim should be easier to pinch as the tyre is more spread out. There for it should be easier to push to the rim.

(Y)

what tyre are you using as i find this have the biggest bearing on whether you get any pinches or not.

what inner tube are you running and what size tyre is it meant to fit, it is important that the inner tube be specified for a large volume tyre else it is stretched very thin and will succumb to pinches more easily.

finally, try putting some chalk dust (sanding a block of the stuff that comes in puncture repair kits) all over the inside of the tyre and outside of the tube, this should help the tube move within the tyre and let it slip out from between the rim and the object you land on reducing the probability of pinching.

i have a onza ronnie rim and maxxis minion dual ply on the rear and havent had a puncture to date with this setup in the 5 months i have been running it, and i have punded the rim onto some corners pretty damn hard.

Relevant Article

actually a wide rim means that you are less likely to get a puncture!!

use comp 24 or maxxis dual ply with standard tube, even on a d521 then you will have no problems.

I used to use an El Gato and get one a ride, i switched to comp24 2.2 a year ago and have had none!!

With a wide rim, like my koxx i used to get pinches quite easily, and my mate who had a d521 never used to get pinches, even on some of the heavier landings.

Has anyone noticed a kind of pattern like the wider the rim, the easier it is to pinch? or vica versa?

Also,  does anyone know how wide D521s are?

Thats probably due to matt landing alot lighter than you....

Wider rim - less tyre folding - you can run less pressure - more pinches?

not if you run maxxis tyres (dualply) :P i used to run an onza hog rim, with maxxis highroller 2.5 (now its a minion) an i run less than 20psi and never had a pinch puncture in over 6 months....but my rim has taken the load instead! :o

not if you run maxxis tyres (dualply) :P  i used to run an onza hog rim, with maxxis highroller 2.5 (now its a minion) an i run less than 20psi and never had a pinch puncture in over 6 months....but my rim has taken the load instead!  :o

Yeah, but what I meant was that people with wider rims can get away with less air in their tyres, so maybe that's why they pinch more often? But yes, Maxxis = T3h B3st!!!1!1

I think you are probably right there tom.

People with wider rims have the oppertunity to use lower pressures without risk of foldage, so thats why they may get more pinches. Saying stuff like "it requires more/less force to push the tyre to the rim" is stupid, because although it may do when compared to another rim with the tyre at a certain pressure, it also would effect the bounciness of the tyre in exactly the same way!

So to give a similar feel of bounciness on one rim to another, you may run higher/lower pressures, but the pinch-ability of that setup will be exactly the same as the other when they are just as bouncy, if you get what I mean..

Its really hard to explain, but I hope this makes sense.

I think you are probably right there tom.

People with wider rims have the oppertunity to use lower pressures without risk of foldage, so thats why they may get more pinches.  Saying stuff like "it requires more/less force to push the tyre to the rim" is stupid, because although it may do when compared to another rim with the tyre at a certain pressure, it also would effect the bounciness of the tyre in exactly the same way!

So to give a similar feel of bounciness on one rim to another, you may run higher/lower pressures, but the pinch-ability of that setup will be exactly the same as the other when they are just as bouncy, if you get what I mean..

Its really hard to explain, but I hope this makes sense.

in a word, No it doesnt make sence!!!!!

basically, you run a wide rim, get a decent tyre, and a tube designed for that width, cover it in chalk and leave punctures in the past.

I ran a Maxxis on a D521 for about a year, and got 2 punctures.

Then i changed to a Ronnie, and have been running that for around 6 months and have had zero punctures, i've also run a Michelin on a D521 and pinched it, and run it on the ronnie and not pinched it.

So for me, wide = no punctures.