Helicoil Kits

Tom Booth

Right, i have had a stripped 4 bolt mount and used a jubilee clip on it for a while and its worked but its just annoying me, so i was wondering if anybody knew of a helicoiling kit, plus where to get one for around £20?(including a link to the site?). Must be for a 4 bolt mount(m5?). Also mut come with some sort of instructions, due to the fact i have no idea what im doing :"> .

Cheers

Tom

Edited by boovey

fishwog...

Im not to keen on the ideaof it, i want to be able to do a half price replacement on it in the very near future for a new t-rex and i dont think onza would accept it back. or would they???

Edited by boovey

The kit to do it is £25-£30... thats what I paid anyway.

I seriosuly wouldn't bother taping it to a bigger size because you will have to mess around drilling out your brake clamps and boosters ect ect..

Take it to a local engineering firm, it won't be stupidly expensive.... plus a good helicoil can be anywhere up to 5-6x stronger than a taped alluminium thread!

If you can afford it, i'd get all 4 done, just to save the hastle of keep going back.... and you might get a discount if you ask nicely (Y)

This should help to find a local engingeering company... www.yell.com

Just have a ring around and see who will do it and get a quote before you go!

Good luck!

Edited by montybiketrial

http://www.toolsnextday.ltd.uk/Helicoil_Ki...licoil_kits.htm

http://www.tooled-up.com/SubCategory.asp?CID=14&SCID=432

Some I have found on internet. Failing that get the yellow pages out and look for an engineering firm. Or engineer suppliers they might be able to point you to someone who can do it for you (Y) .

Edited by shaggy

just tap to m6 and if that fails get it helicoiled. cos if the helicoil comes out your in the poop.

thechink

Helicoils dont come out.... they cant! And if they do, you just take it to an engineering company who can get it out, and put a new coil in.

No because if the M6 threads die then your going to have to helicoil it back to m6....

Which is shit.

Just get it helicoiled back to m5.

Get em all done, save you the hastle!!

Edited by montybiketrial

I'm having that exact problem at the moment, stripped one of the 4 bolt mount threads. There aren't any engineering companies that I know of near me so I googled it and found this:

http://www.toolsnextday.ltd.uk/Helicoil_Ki...licoil_kits.htm

£25 for an M5 helicoil kit with 10 inserts including VAT and next day delivery if ordered before 12 noon, I've been phoning all morning and can't get through though. :unsure: .

Odered my kit, in the end, from helicoils.net this morning, they do M5s I just gave them a ring to ask and they were very helpful. Should have it by Friday.

Would be good if Halfords could do it but I doubt my local has the tools or the knowledge. :P

Its not that hard to do yourself. Just follow the instructions (there on the site aswell). Its fairly simple, just take your time or try it on an old frame first if youve got one. (Y)