The Most Simple Technique In Trials

Mr Motivator

This is one of those things that I should have learnt from the very beggining, but I was lazy and didnt.

Getting up things.. The only way I can do it, is by backwheeling (wheelie hop up) and what I can't do, is roll up things.

Teach me, I just cant do it! How SAD is that! I can lift my fornt wheel up stuff but then have to pull the front brake and endo up. GAY!

Can't even manage 2ft ^_^

Sam, a rather depressed one (don't you find when it rains, loads of little thin worms wriggle across the road? I have loads all over my bike :lol: )

gallery_91_37_1099526340.jpg

(I know it's a backwheel in the pics, but the basic start technique that I use is the same for both)

You wanna be rolling along at a speed appropriate for the size of wall (although mine's almost always ultra slow then a sudden burst when I pedal...). You want your bad foot forwards, cranks level. As you start to pedal round, you want to scrunch yourself down (see pics 3/4). As the pedals get to the vertical position, you want to be jumping up with your body and legs, whilst still continuing the pedal-stroke. As you complete the half-pedalstroke, you want to throw the bike up and forwards with your arms and legs (see the last two lines of pics). However, when you want to sorta place the front wheel on top of it, giving a bit more heft to roll the front end on top, whilst scrunching up your legs to keep the back raised. You want to try and conserve momentum, so it'll be easier to do.

So yeah, that sorta thing.

Just go at it and be confident, basically. As long as you make sure you clear the front, not much can realistically go wrong (short of your bike breaking).

The way i do it is, roll towards object at walking pace. pedal so that your front wheel rolls over the edge of the object, give a little push down with your arms and do what you would with a flat bunnyhop just hop upwards. its not front touching your bumping the wheel off the TOP of the object. it works really well its all about getting the front wheel at right heght to land on top of the object and remember to use the arms to push down and then forward as you do a little static bunnyhop like everyone did when they first started out.

You can become more and more relaxed with it so you roll up to two wheels, or do it with some explosion and go to back wheel using it, sort of a rolling switch technique.

Edited by Spacemunkee

Its not front touching your bumping the wheel off the TOP of the object. it works really well its all about getting the front wheel at right heght to land on top of the object and remember to use the arms to push down and then forward as you do a little static bunnyhop like everyone did when they first started out.

I use that technique for wheelswaps :lol:

The same concept is used for rolling up's just maybe lean forward a bit more because your rolling and it'll happen faster.

That technique works really well if you want a controlled precise hop to bkwheel on something like a foot high that your front wheel is on, it replaces the lean back and pedal kick up to back wheel method, thats not really that good for that move.

I'm pretty terrible at backwheeling things, so use this rolling get up quite a bit. I call it a "UCI get up" ^_^

I do it pretty similar to explained above, by rolling towards the object, bad foot forward, at an average pace. When I'm within reach, I put in half a pedal stroke to lift the front up onto the object. The idea is it lands on the top, not on the edge and as soon as it does, kick the back wheel up, like the end of a bunny hop, unweighting the back wheel and shifting your weight over the front.

I guess it could be done with the front brake from here, but I find it easier to take in enough speed so that once the back end is unweighted, momentum carries me the rest of the way up.

There's my overly complicated explanation. :lol: Let me know if it's any use!

I can do about 3ft with that sort of technique, and I use the brake. If I don't pull the brake, I just ram the bash into the wall. I know it's a pretty shit way of doing it, but you can certainly get higher than 2ft with a bit of effort.

it definitely is doable on higher walls, i started off on wheel height now can do double as long as the wall is wide enough on top for a bike. I know it may seem a bit stupid but try and do it brakeless once you have the basic technique dont cover either brake, it will get you used to using your legs and arms more

I know it may seem a bit stupid but try and do it brakeless once you have the basic technique dont cover either brake, it will get you used to using your legs and arms more

totally agree with that try your best to not use the back brake when doing it. It'll suddenly just click, just give it a whirl.