Wheel Swaps

Luke Drewery

Hi all, ive recently been practicing wheel swaps (where you put your front wheel on the obstacle then hop to backwheel where your front wheel was) and im confused on the technique. I can do wheel height, but i use a small pedal kick, where as im pretty sure nobody else does. I cant seem to get the power without a small pedal kick, but my techniques holding me back on height. So i was wondering how everyone alse does it?

Any help would be very much appreciated :P :lol:

i found having your tyres at a lower pressure, made it much easier, i can do fairly high wheel swaps, but having been practicing them switch (let foot forward) and found the spring of a lower pressure tyre did help me.

also i found its alot to do with upper body strength, so just keep practising is my true advice

cheers

ben

You need to be at an angle to the wall to start with, with your good foot furthest away so you can get the bike and rear wheel as tight into the wall as you can. Then it's all about compressing your body and rear tyres slightly before exploding upwards. For bigger swaps it is as much brute strength as technique.

Once you've jumped upwards, you need to throw the bike up and in front of you (as you would to back wheel) and place the rear tyre on the wall. I think that's how I do it anyway...

Dave

This is how I do it:

- Get balanced, rear brake off, front brake on.

- Let the bike lean a tiny amount towards the obstacle, basically toppling over.

- Preload tyres (rear AND front) and forks by crouching down a tad.

- Jump upwards HARD, throwing arms up and forward, while bringing bike under you with your legs.

- Grab the rear brake.

- Land.

And like Dave said - at an angle to the obstacle, i try and get my feet/pedals parallel with the obstacle (if it fits ok)

Note: Often helps to go sideways a bit, like in the video. And it helps to be tall (you buggers, im only little :lol:)

Right Click, Save Target As

Hope that helps...

Adam

Did you make it Adam? :lol:

I found I couldn't do it at all with a rear brake on. Without it, you can really flex the buggery out of everything, and really squidge your tyres, and then basically jump and it doesn't actually take that much effort. It was a really awkward feeling at first though, but keep practising using the guidelines up top somewhere, and I'm sure you'll get it soon :P

Did you make it Adam? :lol:

I found I couldn't do it at all with a rear brake on. Without it, you can really flex the buggery out of everything, and really squidge your tyres, and then basically jump and it doesn't actually take that much effort. It was a really awkward feeling at first though, but keep practising using the guidelines up top somewhere, and I'm sure you'll get it soon :P

Cheers, he does make it in the vid?

i have done 6 pallets (probably 5 on all blue ones like on tartys video) with both feet forward ( to be seen on my new video when its out) and to be honest, tartys explaination seems perfect to me, although i probably dont pre-load that much, hmm not sure ill let u know next time im out,

the video shows pretty much the right kind of thing to be doing as well

cheers

ben

iv just gone from one extreme to the other,

5weeks ago i was using a justice 1040ish

then a woodstock 1050 on the nose

and now on a koxx levelboss (1065 thats 1100) and doing wheel swaps you can just get sooooooooooo much closer to the wall then do what adam says and bobs your uncle its amazing what that extra length can do, but i remember having a go on someones levelboss 1065 when they were 1065 and it was amazing how much better it was to wheel swop on that then! (jonno's bike it was)

Waynio...........................

it is about practice and technique.................