Hayes

James_Porter

i got my hayes disc brake about a week ago and i have been using it for about a week now. i (or stuart) got crap on it first off and it really didnt want to work. it litterally wouldnt hold and made an AWFULL and bloody annoying sound. so i decided (with help from stuart) to boil the pads for about 30 mins in just plain tap water.

put them back on my bike and it stopped making the gay wanky noise but i thought that it wouldnt work as nothing i do ever seems to that i try to make my bike work that little bit better. so i was waiting for the noise to come back and the power to go. but no noise came back, so i carried on riding with a slight smile on my face. it did nothing but get better :P , and still is.

it feels SOOOO good at the moment. it locks very very well and EASILY holds my weight when i gap to front wheel. there is loads of modulation with it to and when you do a big stoppie :(" the power doesnt give in at all, unlike the avid where the slightest bit of heat makes it go ubber wank to the point where it wont work at all (wasnt a fan of my avid). it seems to be an allround brake and it just wont loose its power what ever conditions you put it in.

i got my brake second hand for £75 with the right fitting for my mount, but i would spend the £130 or what ever they are new for sure. i think it is an awesome brake and i really dont see why only a hand full of people use them on the forum :unsure: . maybe because it isnt one of the "in things" and you never see anyone use them. but i have given it a chance and i wont go back to an avid in a million years. haha.

im sure wayne_king and spoon will back me up on how good they are as they are the ony people i know fo to be actually using them on thier trials bikes.

if you see me on any rides just ask to try it out, you will probably go out and buy one after you try it :P

cheers james :P

THIS is the one i have got. but mine got and all blac lever (Y) haha.

forgot to say, the shape of the lever is really nice aswell, really very nice for one finger braking and it feels rather stiff too... :P

Edited by James_Porter

Sounds good. If you've got an all black lever then I think you may have the standard lever rather than the one with the mag blade, NOT sure though.

Do you remember exactly what you got on the pads, if it was general oil and stuff then that boiling tip could be just what I need for my b*****d rear disc on the freeride bike.

THIS is my beast, been using it for just over a week now and i love it :unsure: the 203mm rotor provides masses of power and bite, but it still has good modulation (nowhere near as grabby as some of the avid mechanicals i have used) easily holds my weight doing sidehop gaps/gaps to front wheel etc and like James said, the Hayes levers are really nice

All of you who are sayign they have no power and grab, obviously have the 6" version, james has the 8" one.

they used to be mine on my dh'er, and they are mint.

boiling the pads gets rid of the oil, brake fluid, etc. boil them on the hob for like 20 mins.

I have a 6" version on my street bike, it does not hold as well or fee las grabby, but it is ample for street, hold fine whilst abubacaring rails, etc, holds fine on the coing at skateparks too.

Stu

P.S. Oh and james, it was you who got shit on the pads, because it was fine when I gave it to you.

I decided to go for the 6inch hfx-9 mk2. Has plenty of power and can hold my 12 stone of weight. Took me a while to set up didnt no it slid on the is mount so couldnt get it to stop rubbing as it didnt have instructions. Only problem i got is with the pads, will change for the sintered version. Will agree about the lever really comfy. Overall good brake would recommend as an alternative to Hope etc.

I purchased by 203mm Hayes over a year ago now...about 14 months it must be.... I noticed you joined my "crew" recently James...Good on you!

I think it's the greatest brake ever....I think i was the first on the forum to break from the magura/hope craze and go for the Hayes! Ain't looked back!!

yeah Matts right, to be honest I'd rather have the hope trial, after riding Dave Marshal's its fooking crazy (N)

James

yeah, but is Dave still using his mono? :)

Edit: and can someone tell me how to remove the pads on my HFX-9? :P i think i lost a bit of fluid yesterday by taking the caliper half off :"> as i thought one of the bolts held the pads in! (Y)

Edited by Wayne-king

Hey heres another tip if you cant be arsed to take off ur rotor and boil it (N)

It only takes a minute or two:

Ride around with the brake on as solidly as you can with just barely being able to pedal slowly, then ride back to wherever you have a bucket of water, or a mate with a hose, and chuck/hose loads of water all over the rotor instantly, so it steams and hisses, until its cold. Do it a 2 or 3 times and you are sorted.

Me and a mate have done this a few times with our disks, it works really really well when you do it right, makes disks so much more grabby!

Edit: and can someone tell me how to remove the pads on my HFX-9? (Y) i think i lost a bit of fluid yesterday by taking the caliper half off :"> as i thought one of the bolts held the pads in! (N)

to take the pads out if you look at the back of the caliper there will be a small tab sticking out where the rotor slots between the pads. Pull that with a pair of needle nosed pliers and the pad comes out. You have to remove the caliper from the is mount to get the other out.

Hope that helped :)

i own a Hayes NINE with a 8" rotor, and its lush bags of meety power.

mate has a Hayes carbon , mag or what ever its called with the 6" rotor,

both of them bite,

better than my old clicky lever and squeeky hope.

spoonz :blink:

to take the pads out if you look at the back of the caliper there will be a small tab sticking out where the rotor slots between the pads.  Pull that with a pair of needle nosed pliers and the pad comes out.  You have to remove the caliper from the is mount to get the other out.

Hope that helped :(

yeh i worked it out eventually! :( lol i just did it with my fingers though