To Grind Or Not To Grind

Matthew_Gibson

I no this topic been on here, but i need some help.

I was out riding today and when I was on the back wheel my brakes kept on slipping. I left it for a bit, thinking it was a bit of water on the rim/pad, but it kept on doing in. I'm using the new Heatsink pads witch are brill, before the slippin started! What should I do about it? Grind the rims? or just clean the rims and pads?

Thanks Matt :D :-

Hey,

Yes I would definetly say grind your rim mate!

Do you run tar?

I used to run tar for ages and absolutly swore by it, pretty much any pads work with tar but there is no modulation just simply locking power!

Then when we were in porthcrawl everyone was grinding their rims so I just though ah what the heck I may as well and as they say I have never looked back :-

Yes when I first ground my rim I did wear out 2 sets of pads in about 3 weeks but after it has bedded in and worn down a bit it was fine!

Tar

Great locking power

Wears away in the wet

Have to keep re-applying

No modulation

Cheap

Doesn't wear out your sidwalls (eventually)

Pads last forever

Grind

Constant good braking even in crap weather

Easy to do

Wears pads at start but gets better

Easy to re-grind

Great modulation

Theres a little list of pros and cons!

I know you haven't actually mentioned that you use tar but it's the other alternative to a grind for a good brake!

Hope i've helped!

Cheers Rob

if your a wee bit unsure ... only grind one side... compare the performance differnece, and if you like it, grind the other side!!

hehe!

i combine a grind with tar.. gives a grabbier feel than just a grind,without loosing all modulation, but not a Sticky feel like tar on its own. locks twice as good as just tar on its own.

Ry

:-

Edited by RyanRs

if its the new sinks (those clear ones) grind you rim...or get some one else to do it....proper bring out the best in those pads.....

i have shitty grind...thats gotten worse....bu then reground my rimmage and those pads have been awsome....

i had ind of the same probs to start, fantasic pad, then it faded slightly, but after a grind...super...

grind....or whack a bit of tar on if you dont like them

Yeah Matt grind your rim :turned: Remember when my bike fell in the river and my rims were soaking, but I just got back on my bike and then my brake was still mint, thats with heatsinks aswell!

Sorry to steal he topic but a.) were do i get heatsink's and b.) how did your bike fall in the river? >_<

Jamie.

Alright.

What's the best technique for grinding rims then? Put the wheel in a vice and just go for it? And do you use the edge of the grinding disc, or the flat side? How many grinds do you get to the average wheel? And would it be any good with the red Koolstops.

I'm running tar at the moment, which is alright, but it sounds like a grind is the way to go.

Cheers, Mat

Best way to grind is to put the wheel in a vice and use the edge of the disk and sweep in small sections of about 15cm over and over again till the whole rim is done. I would say that you get from 10~15 grinds out of the average wheel, before it's really thin. Maybe you could also invest in some new pads because kool stops aren't the best by far...maybe you should try Koxx bloxx or heatsinks.

Grind really is the way to go.

Edited by Impacted.

Just grind it mate. It's easy as pie jus get your technique sorted on a spare piece of aluminium or something and away you go! Best go for a mean grind on those pads (apply more pressure while grinding).

Cheers,

Joe.