What Shall I Go For?

Luke Drewery

Hi, i have about £90 to spend on a front disc, and i did want a hope mono trial, but it will take me ages to get the money for that, so my second choice would be an avid cable disc. I can get the brake and an xtr lever for about £90, however i am a bit concerned that it will be spongey due to being cable actuated. What should i do? save up and get the mono trial or go for the avid now? The point of this topic is to basically hear peoples opionions of the two brakes so i can decide what to do. I have seen other topics that people have mentioned avid discs and they say theyre good but are they as good as a hydraulic disc? Bearing in mind i would go for the front 185 with an xtr lever and probably a fibrax cable. Any help would be much appreciated :)

i have had a lot of bad experience with hydro disc brakes then i thought why not get the avid cable disc .I thought it would be spongy as well but to my surprise it isnt it has to be the best disc i bought. I know your sitting there and this reply still hasnt convinced you which to get . But i can honestly say that the avid is amazing you wount buy a better brake sure the others are good brakes but this is just my opinion

hope this was of some use

fred. :)

Get an avid mate, you wont look back!

I had a hope mini mono which was total balls compared to the avid!

You will have enough money to get the disk and a nice XTR lever!

Loads of power and modulation!

Rob :)

Deffiantly save for the hope, i saved for one and got the 180mm version, and it is so good, easily as powerfull as the avid, if not more, and u don't get that horrid fade like the avid, where u go down a hill and have no brake when u get to the bottom.

Adam

Go for the Avid, I just got mine today and its kicked the shit out of any disc I have owned before.

3 people that I ride with bought Hope trials when they were first released and at the minute hope have had one brake returned and 2 of the still unhappy with the brake.

Edited by Brisa

Cheers for the replys guys, looks like im going for the avid, i shall order it soon as possible! I do like the mono trial, but i cant really wait to save up for that as there is other stuff i need to get after the disc. Also my mate has a mono mini and ever since he has got it it has been total crap, doesnt have any bite and wont lock properly, so hes sending it back to hope :)