Chris King Hubs

RyanRs

Hi, i want to be purchasing a Chris king rear hub soon, but i am a bit unsure what exactly i need??

i have heard talk about Steel axels, different drive shells and fun bolts?? WTF!

also, is there any difference between the iso and classic other than the disk mount?

and finally, where is the cheapest possible place to purchase one from? i have noticed importing is cheaper, is this a good idea?

Please help me peeps!!

Thanx

Ry

:)

Hi, i want to be purchasing a Chris king rear hub soon, but i am a bit unsure what exactly i need??

i have heard talk about Steel axels, different drive shells and fun bolts?? WTF!

also, is there any difference between the iso and classic other than the disk mount?

and finally, where is the cheapest possible place to purchase one from? i have noticed importing is cheaper, is this a good idea?

Please help me peeps!!

Thanx

Ry

Cheap as you like. 5 Pages.

Tom

Cheap as you like. 5 Pages.

Tom

Yer thats where i got mine mega cheap and good service as they arrived in under a week.

I was worried about import Tax ect but there were no hidden charges :)

I got a rear pewter classic + front ISO pewter + pewter head set for around £300 all included :)

I didnt buy any extra such as axels, fun bolts and steel drive shells and its been running fine for bout 6 months im just not looking forward to replacing my cassette as its gunna be mashed :)

Yo,

Classic and iso are pretty much the same except for the obvious, i think maybe the flanges are longer on the ISO though. You will only need a steel driveshell if you run a single cog as opposed to a cassette i think. The HD axle and fun bolts come as one and will make your hub stronger, although if you wait until you break the standard one then CK will replace it with an HD one for the price differance between the two. Whoa i'm a fountain of knowledge lol, especially considering i don't own one lol. Oh and buy from aspire velo tech on ebay :)

Pete

ISO hubs have a disc mount, Classics do not. Classic hubs come with an ordinary axle and an aluminium driveshell as standard. ISO's have the option of having a stainless steel or titanium driveshell (and i think you can buy one with an HD axle) The HD axle is a beefed up version of the normal axle, with an M10 thread in each end for the funbolts. HD axles also require an HD lockring. Qr skewers can be used with the HD axle (with the aid of an adaptor screwed into each end of the axle)

All the King spares are listed here, which might make it easier for you to understand :)

Bromley Bike

In my experience, the HD axle is definitely a good idea. Plus fun bolts are good (Can't have fun bolts with standard axle). However, I don't think you NEED a steel driveshell, even you're only running one cog. But it's better :)

Damn, I want a CK headset now :)

ISO hubs have a disc mount, Classics do not.

I've got a Classic and mine appears to have these little screw holes where the disc mounts should be (smaller than disc bolt holes). I presume you can buy an adapter or somthing to attach onto these and make it disc compatible?

I also seem to remember something about a "discotech" or somthing or other when researching to buy my one, or is that somthing different?

Cheers

Ross

I've got a Classic and mine appears to have these little screw holes where the disc mounts should be (smaller than disc bolt holes).

I also seem to remember something about a "discotech" or somthing or other when researching to buy my one, or is that somthing different?

You have a DiscGoTech :)

So what would you all advise me get then.....

(please take in mind i dont use gears and dont belive in using gears on my bike)

A. ISO 36h with funbolts, steel axel and steel freehub thingy , with single speed conversion..

B. 2005 Chris king 36h Single speed hub,comes with funbolts... ?

Also, if you all choose B.. then can i get the the steel axel and body -or does it already have this?

Ry

So what would you all advise me get then.....

(please take in mind i dont use gears and dont belive in using gears on my bike)

A. ISO 36h with funbolts, steel axel and steel freehub thingy , with single speed conversion..

B. 2005 Chris king 36h Single speed hub,comes with funbolts... ?

Also, if you all choose B.. then can i get the the steel axel and body -or does it already have this?

Ry

The single speed hub can't have an option of a steel freehub - alu only. It's not a massive problem, especially if you're running a king kog - which you will be.

ISO's have the option of having a stainless steel or titanium driveshell (and i think you can buy one with an HD axle) The HD axle is a beefed up version of the normal axle, with an M10 thread in each end for the funbolts

There is no option of a titanium driveshell, (i'm not sure if there was a while ago?), and classics can have a steel driveshell too. Also, the diameter of the fun bolts is bigger than M10, and isn't imperial. :)

Mike. :P

If you dont need gears then I would suggest the king single speed comes with heavy dute axle and fun bolts for about £200 from Aspire.  Oh and get it in a funky colour

Thing is, Single speed hub is like £200, and the ISO with steel axel & freehub and funbolts is £214

£14 difference. i think there pritty much the same weight too. think i mite go for the ISO as its more known and proven to be sh*t hot!

?

Thing is,  Single speed hub is like £200, and the ISO with steel axel & freehub and funbolts is £214

£14 difference. i think there pritty much the same weight too. think i mite go for the ISO as its more known and proven to be sh*t hot!

?

Still theres not much need for a steel freehub and with the single speed the cassette part is cut down and you run a king kog on it which should come with the hub. So anywyas you get a king kog aswell.

A king hub is a king hub if one works so do all the others.

My brother had a single speed king never a problem with it we both have bmx kings same as a single speed but bmx size and different axle and bolts. Not a single problem with those.