Website Stuff Again

gallery_320_510_8205.jpg

right theres a screen shot, as you may be able to see i have sorted all my frames out and stuff now, at last !!!!

But.... as you may notice on the main window frame it has a bar for scrolling left to right and the same again up and down.
I really want to just keep the up and down one but get rid of the left to right one. Ive tried making it smaller etc loads of different ways but it doesnt seem to be happening.
It seems as soon as the page becomes too long (up and down) so that the scrollbar appears then the left to right one automatically pops up as well but i really dont want it there my left to right as far as im aware fits perfectly.

First off did you understand what the hell i meant ?! :">
and is there anyway to sort it out?

cheers, stu :turned:

I'm not 100% sure on this but when looking through the code i was using the other day which had frames. There was a tag in each frame tag that said 'scrolling='on'' (or off). Do a control/f on the source code and search it.

Like i said not 100% sure though.

Thanks, Max.

I had the same problem aswell, but cant remeber exactly how I fixed it.

I know the first thing was to check that the page displayed in the frame had no margins/borders or anything, so the <body> tag was like this:

<body bgcolor="#000000" topmargin="0" leftmargin="0">

This might also help - the code for my iframe:

<iframe width="375" height="291" scrolling="auto" marginheight="2" marginwidth="0" border="0" frameborder="0" src="gigscontent.htm">

Think the 'margin...' parts could be the importaint bits?

I also seem to remeber that didn't actually work on its own: for some weird reason, it only made a difference if I removed the tag at the very start of the code, which Dreamweaver automatically puts in. So yeah check to see you dont have this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

and if you do, delete it! From the page which the ifram is on, and the page which the ifram has displayed in it.

Hope some of that's of use to you :turned:

Hhhhmm that's odd :turned:. Using dreamweaver when i go into the source inside the frameset and stuff i have this:

<frame name="leftFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize src="UntitledFrame-3.htm">

Maybe it's just me :).

Max

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<title>Premier Homes Ltd.</title>

</head>

<frameset rows="*,15" cols="*" frameborder="yes" border="4" framespacing="4">

<frameset rows="*" cols="222,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">

<frame src="UntitledFrame-4.htm" name="leftFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

<frameset rows="80,*" framespacing="8" frameborder="yes" border="8" bordercolor="#7EB445">

<frame src="UntitledFrame-7.htm" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

<frameset rows="*,9" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">

<frame src="UntitledFrame-5.htm" name="mainFrame">

<frame src="UntitledFrame-8.htm" name="bottomFrame1" scrolling="NO" noresize>

</frameset>

</frameset>

</frameset>

<frame src="UntitledFrame-6.htm" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

</frameset>

<noframes><body>

</body></noframes>

</html>

that would be the code i have and its still not playing ball. (Y)

stu :deej:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

<html>

<head>

<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">

<title>Premier Homes Ltd.</title>

</head>

<frameset rows="*,15" cols="*" frameborder="yes" border="4" framespacing="4">

<frameset rows="*" cols="222,*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">

<frame src="UntitledFrame-4.htm" name="leftFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

<frameset rows="80,*" framespacing="8" frameborder="yes" border="8" bordercolor="#7EB445">

<frame src="UntitledFrame-7.htm" name="topFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

<frameset rows="*,9" cols="*" framespacing="0" frameborder="NO" border="0">

<frame src="UntitledFrame-5.htm" name="mainFrame">

<frame src="UntitledFrame-8.htm" name="bottomFrame1" scrolling="NO" noresize>

<iframe style="active-scroll-bars {overflow-x:hidden};" >

</frameset>

</frameset>

</frameset>

<frame src="UntitledFrame-6.htm" name="bottomFrame" scrolling="NO" noresize>

</frameset>

<noframes><body>

</body></noframes>

</html>

Try that? (Y)

also seem to remeber that didn't actually work on its own: for some weird reason, it only made a difference if I removed the tag at the very start of the code, which Dreamweaver automatically puts in. So yeah check to see you dont have this:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN">

and if you do, delete it! From the page which the ifram is on, and the page which the ifram has displayed in it.

Personally id scrap frames alltogether and do something like

<? 
$section = $_GET['section'];

if (empty($section)) {

include ("news/news.php");

}

else {

include ("content/$section.php");

}
?>[/code] That way when you put the url index.php?section=blah (where blah is the name of the page you want to goto) the file blah.php is loaded inside the index where the php code is. But if you just goto index.php then the news page is loaded (Y) Not really complicated at all when you look at it. As for horizontal scrolling something like the following in the header of the right hand frame html.
[code]<style type="text/css">

body {
overflow-x: hidden;
}

</style>

Not really complicated at all when you look at it.

Danny you just forget sometimes that we are not all 'gifted' like your sexy self. :P from one who put much creation into this multi-functional forum.

But us mere peasents havent got quite that gift and it becomes errrm hard to do. When i start then eventually finish my CIW course i will be able to show off :P

oh back to the point nah it still hasnt worked im starting to think bugger it is it really that important?!

cheers, stu ^_^

Get rid of the frames and everything will be ok. Frames are a pain in the neck, you're much better off using div tags and css to layout your page.

Then, rather than using php get variables to discern what content to load, as Danny suggested, I would be inclined to instead create one file per page of content (so a page called news.html and one called contact.html etc) and use include() to include the parts that are constant across all pages (menu, header, etc). This way the URLs for individual pages make more sense to non-techies [htttp://www.foo.com/news.html as opposed to http://www.foo.com/page.php?section=news] and there's less chance of you opening some form of security hole by allowing get variables to be passed to your script.

It's really quite easy to do and should save you a lot of headache. Getting rid of frames has all sorts of advantages: It allows people to directly link to content within your site; it prevents search engines indexing pages that were designed to only be seen within a frameset; it helps prevent unsightly layout issues like you're experiencing here; it makes it easier to provide content for browsers that don't support frames (although that may be a little redundant these days - it's always good to provide backwards compatability though).

Generally a good thing really :)

I'm not sure if that makes much sense... I haven't written a single line of code for about 6 weeks now, so I may be a little vague. Prod me if you need a bit of a clearer explanation.

PROD

ha ha ha, i dont think its worth the hassle at this moment in time, compared to what the site was originally like i have made it look much sexier so im happy with that. Im still learning a lot about web design and havent yet mastered html, im learning pieces of dhtml etc. but its all a long struggle. Hopefully when i take the CIW course i should learn a lot more but thats a 2 year thing, meh lets whistle the time by :P"

If anybody wants to be my online tutor your more than welcome :P

cheers, stu ^_^